• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

900 series wreckers

blackrock

Hey guys was wondering how the auto tranny trucks work with the winch and crane? How does the rear control work? Like on the old m543a2 trucks i know its an air cylinder that pulls the clutch peddle down allowing you to switch from winch to crane when operating at the rear of the truck. any help would be great thanks kyle

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you look at the 939 series manuals(-10), it will explain how to properly operate the truck.

blackrock

Ok let me explain a little more . I have a m543a2 and im thinking of putting a auto tranny in it but would like it to operated like it should. So im not concerened on how to operated it but how and what parts they use different compared to the older trucks. Unless the manual will give me all that info, then i apologize. thanks kyle

Csm Davis

Okay here's the beef your old truck is all pto driven and not compatible with the automatic transmission you have no way to feather the clutch in and out. The 936s are all hydraulic so no clutch needed sorry bud not going to happen be cheaper to put a 809 cab on 936. Also the automatic would slow your top speed a lot.

blackrock

Okay here's the beef your old truck is all pto driven and not compatible with the automatic transmission you have no way to feather the clutch in and out. The 936s are all hydraulic so no clutch needed sorry bud not going to happen be cheaper to put a 809 cab on 936. Also the automatic would slow your top speed a lot.
hmmm little confused on your top speed statement. The 543a2's don't have OD in the tranny (or any OD for that matter) The Allison autos have a final ratio of 1;1 just like my 543a2, so i don't see my top speed changing. So to make it work i need to measure how much longer that auto is v.s my stick and see if i have to move everything according to the difference of the two. Then basically have a actuator put the truck in "N" allowing me to change from crane to winch. With all this keeping the PTO setup. only other issue is no park and no air brakes. Thanks Kyle

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I once owned a M816 and I'm currently babysitting a M936. I'll take the M936 hands down for ease of operation. Everything is engaged from the cab and it's a lot quieter. As Jeff said you can't do the automatic swap due to all the plumbing.

Csm Davis

hmmm little confused on your top speed statement. The 543a2's don't have OD in the tranny (or any OD for that matter) The Allison autos have a final ratio of 1;1 just like my 543a2, so i don't see my top speed changing. So to make it work i need to measure how much longer that auto is v.s my stick and see if i have to move everything according to the difference of the two. Then basically have a actuator put the truck in "N" allowing me to change from crane to winch. With all this keeping the PTO setup. only other issue is no park and no air brakes. Thanks Kyle
Okay so the top speed will be about the same.
Park and air brakes are not needed but you will need a clutch to run your front or rear winches, boom is hydraulic and will operate normally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks