• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

915A1 and M172A1 earning their keep

AMGeneral

Well folks,thought I would post a few pics of today's exploits,

I took the 915 and the lowboy to Summerville SC toady and moved a 955K Cat track loader back to Valdese NC.

Nothing really exciting,no failures to report,58 mph going down and 58 mph coming back,502 miles and roughly 90 to 100 gallons of fuel burned,so basically 5 MPG.

I really didn't know the loader was back there,it only dropped to 50 going up 1 fair hill on I-26 coming back.

Needless to say,I think the tractor trailer is well tested for GA next week!!

Just in case,I have the 915 all legal,tagged for 80,000 lbs,permits for NC,SC, and GA,fuel stickers as well as Federal Heavy Hwy use tax paid.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two-man lift? Sure, they are heavy...and I am not bragging...but one man does what one man needs to do. I owned an M172A1 with ramps and loaded them plenty of times after having loaded my M548A1. They are HEAVY, but, if you get the front of the ramp on the trailer, then tip up the rear end, you can load them just fine. Just put your a$$ behind them and drive 'em up on the trailer.

AMGeneral

That is just how we did it in the Army......and those ramps are a two man lift unless you are bucking for a hernia.

Good to see "Jessica" earning her keep.

They're heavy no doubt,but I did just as Bruce described,once,then I went and got the wrecker to set em back on the trailer next time.

If i'm by myself,I just run a long chain from the trailer neck,and use a come along to winch em up into place.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...since she's legal...make some money with her so she can pay her own upkeep/fees etc.:jumpin:

I KNOW you know you can make enough hauling stuff part time to more than pay the basic stuff...then you get to play with her hauling your stuff basically free....sorta:roll:

gusto1

Brandon,
That's a great looking rig! Two thumbs up!!!!
How much did the tag, insurance, fuel stickers, and permits cost?
You are making me jealous with the pictures. Please post more of the M915 and M172 at work.

Gus

AMGeneral

Brandon,
That's a great looking rig! Two thumbs up!!!!
How much did the tag, insurance, fuel stickers, and permits cost?
You are making me jealous with the pictures. Please post more of the M915 and M172 at work.

Gus
So far Gus,all together I am up to about $4500 per year for everything:shock:

m172A1 Lowboy

If I am not mistaken isnt the M172A1 lowboy over width at 105" or so?
I know here in New Mexico we have to get an oversize permit for just to run
the trailer down the road empty. Do you have to have an over width permit
in your state or the other states you are permitted in? I have thought about
buying one of these trailers but I dont know if the hassel for permits is worth
it?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
If I am not mistaken isnt the M172A1 lowboy over width at 105" or so?
I know here in New Mexico we have to get an oversize permit for just to run
the trailer down the road empty. Do you have to have an over width permit
in your state or the other states you are permitted in? I have thought about
buying one of these trailers but I dont know if the hassel for permits is worth
it?

You are correct Sir...requires an overwith permit in each state ya travel in.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For SC and NC, it is $100 each a year for a permit. GA is $150, and VA is $50 I believe. Single trip permits in NC and SC were like $20-30. Make 5 trips a year and you've paid for the yearly permit. Haven't checked on any other states, but that's about the circle of range I could make comfortably in the m818. After I get a 915 or 916 though...

It was fairly easy when I got the single trip permits, and it is the same process for the yearly. I would check into it with your state to see what they require, SC and NC wanted slightly different info.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks