• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

92' M998 Horn problem

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You got the lighting switch on SERVICE. Needs to be. Next... Check to see if you have one up front and two wires going to it. Next... pull the clip ring off from around the rubber button and check / clean up wiring any rust junk. Make sure not to loose the center wire down the rabbit hole steering shaft. This is the one THAT (another test) if you ground it the horn should honk. Remember the lighting switch above, MUST be on. AND remember old truck, old tired horn or worn button?

AND...That's all I have, BEEP BEEP road runner, CAMO

AND check the ground to the column just behind the dash panel. little hard to find. Lots of AND's and IF's

AND the reason for all this... Ya don't want to be BEEPING when sneaking up on the bad guys or flashing headlights. At that point it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: REF

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Al Milcommoguy said, have to check all those places and make sure the switch is on.
It's also probably not powered how you would think, when the light switch is in service or drive positions, the wires are live to the horn, then from the horn it goes to the button in the steering wheel. So there WILL be power at one horn connection, and then through the horn.

Reactions: REF

papakb

The spring contact on the top side of the steering column on mine was broken when I got it. This is the contact that grounds the column to the rest of the vehicle. Without it the horn won't work. It's a simple 2 screw and 1 wire repair.

steering column.jpg

Here's the info on this part:

Horn contact.jpg

Last edited:

92'M998

I see the problem i think, we were trying to use the horn in the RUN positon, didnt work on the road either before we messed with some of the cables that were undone

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Well... Ya didn't tell us that. 😬

Get ready for the "study the TM's" in your spare time. 📖

It's all in the owner's manual, CAMO :rolleyes: