• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

920 miles in a CUCV 2 days!

Well I just got in to my parents house in Sykesville MD, from Fort Rucker AL. It took two full days of driving. I ended up driving the 26 foot Penske truck towing my H3. My father drove the CUCV. He said it drove great no issues just had to add a quart of oil ( I think i'm due a front and rear seal on the engine). I will post up some pictures when I download them.

91W350

Must have been the weekend for it, I just got in from Salt Lake City, with a detour into Boulder. 1016 miles in two days in my new to me M1009. Glen

aebiv

Rapid City South Dakota, to San Francisco California straight through with only naps on the side of the road the second day I owned my M1009 :)

They're great for trips like that.

91W350

Napping in my newest M1009 would be pretty eay as it has no back seat. I had a 2wd Blazer I used to pull my bass boat with and I used to sleep on a pad in the back at the boat ramps all the time. I waited out many Kansas Thunderstorms in the back of that old Blazer on a boat ramp...

aebiv

I've seen some people go as far to get a matress to fit back there, sadly though I usually have far too much stuff with me... Thankfully though I replaced the front seats with 1993 silverado seats [thumbzup]

91W350

My 77 had a really nicely done sheet of plywood with a padded carpeting on it. It came right up to the footwells and was cleanly cut around the fenderwells. I wish I could take credit for that part, but it was somebody else's handy work. I was responsible for the Corvette power transplant. It was a great run around truck. I would just drag the cooler and gear out at a campsite and my tent and bedding was almost done... I often wish I had not let a buddy in need talk me out of that one.

aebiv

Ahhh, the vette powerplant must have been a nice addition :)

I've been contemplating doing a lot of interior work to the M1009, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I believe I caught the suburban fever, and have been hunting for a 70's burban to do a frame up on.

Of course she'd be diesel powered. ;-)

91W350

I put it all in there, sensors, computer components, even used the fuel pump and adapted my sending unit to the pump in the Blazer tank. It was a fun truck, I just hope somebody is still enjoying it. I have not seen it for maybe 15 years.

chevyguy1976

Never been impressed with a big block??? what the heck is wrong with you man:cookoo: There is no sweeter music then the sound of a open header big block chevy:drool:

Well I can see your point if your talking about dodge or ford big blocks they are pretty unimpressive:lol:

aebiv

Never been impressed with a big block??? what the heck is wrong with you man:cookoo: There is no sweeter music then the sound of a open header big block chevy:drool:

Well I can see your point if your talking about dodge or ford big blocks they are pretty unimpressive:lol:
Sound? Incredible.

Weight? Ehhhh, starting to get porky.

Cost per HP? Ouch.

I guess I've just always found a well built small block to be more my taste :)

If you like a big block? Go for it :beer:

I'll stick to a large displacement small block with the right fuel/spark system.

pinbill

91w350-

Did you buy the M1009 from a guy named cory who posted here in the classifieds? Just curious I bought one from him. nice guy, good deal.

Bill

chevyguy1976

Dont get me wrong I am a big fan of the small block as well. One of the first cars I remember ridding in was my dads 66 nova. 30+ 327, 202 heads,13:1 compression,375hp fulie cam. That car was a screamer. The open header 427 in his 69 vette just roars. I guess it depends on what you put the motor in. For instance my 70 chevelle is almost 4,000 lbs and needs those larger cubes and torque to get her moving. If I had a 66 nova, lightweight camero or vette, then the small block would work just fine. Round here big blocks are still affordable and its tough to beat the extra cubes. I guess anymore you can get big block cubes out of a small block but that is way out of my budget:(. Now gas mileage thats a different storyrofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks