• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 a2 PRIMING WOES AND PARTS QUESTION

chrisrauch72

Hey guys ive got a 923 a2 and I ran it out of fuel once and have been cursed ever since, problems priming lower lift pump replaced and high pressure pump gone thru have fuel flow to the high pressure pump and still cant get this bitch to take off will fire temporarily on ethier but then falls back off. Two things: has anyone tried an electric pump conversion on one of these? It seems to be a viable option IMO any input would be thanked, also need to find a replacement drop in filter for the seperator tank off of the gas tank anyone who knows a cheap place give me a holler. this is my first diesel vehicle so any input is greatly appreciated.:?:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
use a 10mm wrench on the back side of the injection pump and open the bleeder valve then pump away on the hand pump or... tap a schrader valve into the fuel tank cap and pressurize at max of 5 psi with that bleeder open. Wa-la! Fuel, primed, and on the road.

snowtrac nome

if you have the c series cummins we had a lot of problems with the push lock fittings. I would replace them all with crimped jic fittings, those trucks have a lot of lift to pull fuel out of the tank. It would not hurt to have an electronic pump at the tank to help the the cummins mechanical pump feed the ip. The plus side of that conversion is that it would make bleeding air from the filters a cinch at service time.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
lol i was thinking the same thing on the cap today lol i still think and electric pump might not be a bad idea for priming purposes .
Its not. Are you sure your lines arent sucking air or that the top gasket on the fuel filter canister is seated right?a properly running truck should be primed and fire off with no problems

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

dmetalmiki

use a 10mm wrench on the back side of the injection pump and open the bleeder valve then pump away on the hand pump or... tap a schrader valve into the fuel tank cap and pressurize at max of 5 psi with that bleeder open. Wa-la! Fuel, primed, and on the road.
That was top tip of the day...Did you try it yet? and is your truck up and running?

SUPERSPORT

I have the big fuel filter under fender. There is a rubber hose between filter and line from tank. There is another going from filter to lift pump.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much fuel is in it now?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would change your filter now also. Might be all gunked up from running out.

Bleed it correctly(follow the TM).

Ford Mechanic

Another tip for mechanical injection diesels that have been run out of fuel, if you've got good fuel to your bleeder point and can't get it to fire off. Loosen the pressure line at each injector, crank the engine over until fuel comes out and tighten them up as they bleed during cranking. It's not a problem if you can't get to all of the lines to bleed them all, they will bleed when it lights off.

Alot of the mechanical diesels if the IP and lines get full of air can't push enough pressure to self bleed at cranking rpm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

chrisrauch72

The fuel is reaching the inlet of the high pressure pump not having any luck priming from there yet. FSOV WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE?
:recovry4x4:this is my first diesel so thanks.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one of the great accessories you can carry with you, and easy to make.
As stated above, it only takes a few pounds of air pressure to work, the tank will usually give a whump noise when it's ready.

In a bind, you can stuff rags around your air hose in the filler neck and get enough pressure, but not as quick and easy. If you don't have a better air source, one of those little plug in car-tire inflation pumps will do the job, but it takes a while! (Yes, personal experience).

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks