• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 a2 PRIMING WOES AND PARTS QUESTION

Ford Mechanic

The fuel is reaching the inlet of the high pressure pump not having any luck priming from there yet. FSOV WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE?
:recovry4x4:this is my first diesel so thanks.
Fsov= fuel shut off valve

It's a big solinoid beside the IP that controls it. Common part to burn out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel is reaching the inlet of the high pressure pump not having any luck priming from there yet. FSOV WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE?
:recovry4x4:this is my first diesel so thanks.
There is an electrically operated solenoid mounted to the pump, 3 wires, ground, pull in and hold in. when you crank the engine, that solenoid needs to pull the shut off lever up in order for the rack in the pump to be able to go from the zero delivery to delivery position in the delivery valves.

86m1028

Two other possibilities that haven't been covered.

1 tank vents clogged or stopped up.

2 fsov might be retracting but shut off lever is NOT returning to open
(im fighting that issue right now with a recently acquired m936a2

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or filter plugged.

Start with replacement.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an electrically operated solenoid mounted to the pump, 3 wires, ground, pull in and hold in. when you crank the engine, that solenoid needs to pull the shut off lever up in order for the rack in the pump to be able to go from the zero delivery to delivery position in the delivery valves.
This IMG_3036.jpg is what it looks like with no power. The part I have my finger on will shorten when the truck is in the run/start position. If its bad or your batteries aren't strong enough it can extend back out as soon as you start cranking, not allowing fuel to pass.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please attach picture, not use links. Rule...

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These will start and run well at idle with 28 in restriction thru the filters. They don't like to do anything but idle in a plugged filter condition. Easy things first, LOOK at things. Most of the time it is simple issues that cause no starts in these. And, if the pull in circuit is fubar, with the ign on, you can pull the so lever up by hand and it will stay up if the hold in circuit is working....or you can wire the lever up and give it a try.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUMMINS....geez. Two parts. TDC the engine, use the pin on the rear of the gear housing or the valve overlap method. That is engine timing. For the pump, if removed, remove the cap on the lh lower side of the pump at the governor housing and take the pin out, it is a whitish/yellow pin abouk 3/8 inch in diameter with a ridge around it close to middle and one end has a two prong "fork", the other is a little nub, the fork lookin' end should be out when you take the cap off. Put the nut on the pump shaft and rotate the pump while looking in the hole you pulled the pin from. eventually you will see a little steel pointer, arm, prong, whatever you want to call it. rotate so it is in the center of the hole and put the pin back in with the fork over the pointer, make sure the pin seats against the gov housing. install the cap. clean the pump shaft and gear, if the pump is off, ind install the pump, tighten the 4 mount nuts, snug the pump shaft nut, un pin the pump and torque the nut to spec.

If the pump is still on, TDC the engine, then remove the cap on the pump. The pointer should be in the window, put the pin back in as described above, remove the pump.

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to un pin the engine and flip the pump timing pin back around BEFORE you rotate the engine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
merged 3 threads...

Please continue with your situation here.

chrisrauch72

Finally she fired up !

Mounted a carter 12 v pump up to the supply side of mechanical pump and she popped off with minimal effort only down side is I gotta redo all the hoses on big tank.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks