• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923 Makes a Trip to the Gun Show with cool Thermal Images

dk8019

So I took the 923 on it's first long trip down to the Nation's Gun Show in Dulles. Left way early to get in line and be able to take my time in her, as traffic around here is replete with crazy people, so right lane the whole time, running around 50 MPH in 55 MPH zones.

The truck did very well, it's amazing how nice the 900 series trucks are compared to my long gone '53 Deuce or my M820 5-ton. The transmission did it's thing, and the engine ran very well, all and all very happy with it. I took a long a thermal IR gun to measure my hubs and brakes, stopped 4 times on the way down to check them, I got to check them after a a gradual down hill descent, and all seemed well at under 200F all around.

When I got home, I pulled my thermal camera off the charger and took a few pictures that I through you might all appreciate. I'll try to upload them in Fahrenheit a bit later, and at higher resolutions, I just need to get the tool installed on this machine.

IR_1546.jpgIR_1547.jpgIR_1548.jpgIR_1549.jpgIR_1550.jpgIR_1551.jpgIR_1552.jpgIR_1553.jpgIR_1554.jpgIR_1555.jpg

lj1941

Very interesting.This is the first time I have seen thermal images of a truck used in such a way.

Last edited:

KsM715

Cool toy. I would have never even thought that the hottest spot on the tires is between the lugs. But thinking about it, I bet that its the part of the tire that flexes the most going down road thus building the most heat.

dk8019

I use a FLIR i5 primarily. I have a team of techs that work in large computer rooms and we normally use them for airflow diagnostics. Pretty cool to use with a truck though, also great for spotting critters in the dark!