• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923A1 Recovery Thursday (8-2-12)

commandojeff

Well as some of you may know, I purchased a 923a1 from a GL lot in Jeff City MO. I sent in my first EUC on the 19th and it was approved yesterday the 30th. I'm scheduled to get the truck at 9:30 on Thursday. Yes I'm bringing a camera, with batteries to document the trip back to St. Louis.

I have some fluids and minimal tools with me. Along with a generator and an air compressor. We will see how this goes... I hope everything runs okay. I will post up some pictures and a couple videos when we get her home on Thursday. Any other tips?

Jeff

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suggest you get a trip permit from the DMV and liability insurance.

I have bought four 939 series trucks so far and they all started, ran, and drove good, just needed engine or transmission oil. YMMV

rrrr

Got dropped off on the way from the recovery. Truck was overall in very good shape just needed a few things and it was ready to go.

Let me know if you need some help on the issues Jeff. You have a very nice truck.

commandojeff

Made it back home without a hitch. The truck ran good and everything went as smooth as I could ask for. Had to tighten a few belts, the brake lights don't seem to work, and the rear left hub seal will have to be replaced eventually. But other than that I'm super happy with it! Thanks Ray for the help today. It was nice having someone there that knew the trucks. I'll have to get with you sometime about the light issues.

Pics soon to follow... or tomorrow... for sure tomorrow :shock:. I'm beat now.

rrrr

Made it back home without a hitch. The truck ran good and everything went as smooth as I could ask for. Had to tighten a few belts, the brake lights don't seem to work, and the rear left hub seal will have to be replaced eventually. But other than that I'm super happy with it! Thanks Ray for the help today. It was nice having someone there that knew the trucks. I'll have to get with you sometime about the light issues.

Pics soon to follow... or tomorrow... for sure tomorrow :shock:. I'm beat now.

Jeff just let me know. Like I said, I have an extra flasher and I now know where the brake pressure switch is. Should be easy to trouble shoot and fix.

Jon in one of the pictures looks like he's break dancing or something :p

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
glad it went well and you had a great time on the recovery. lets hope you get it all fixed up and enjoy that truck

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck and congrads on the recovery. :beer:

I also had the brake lights out. It is an easy fix. The switch is on the the frame rail by the fuel tank on the inside in between the front and middle axle.

I used a very common and inexpensive Midland/haldex Be 13250 $20 switch which is rated for 24v. standard 1/4 pipe thread. It does not have military wiring connectors but simple studs. You can make an adapter or I used a "t" tap fitting so I still had the military connectors and made a short splice with a ring terminal. A few bucks in wiring and done.

The surplus dealers were way too proud of their $50 stoplight switch in my humble opinion plus shipping and waiting etc. :shock:

commandojeff

Thank you everyone for the help and info. I'm not too worried about the brake lights and signals. I know it needs to be the first thing I fix, but it sounds easy enough. My main concern would be that leaky rear hub seal. I'm going to research how to add some lube.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a large pipe plug with a 1/2 female indentation on the large round housing almost center (some call it the pumpkin) facing the back. You can use a 1/2 ratchet. It is a standard pipe thread. Fill the oil level with the the plug until it starts to ooze out.

If your turn signals are also not working, then that is a different problem as the stoplight switch repair i described is only stoplights.

Turn signals can be the flasher, switch, wiring or the taillight bulbs/ housings.

Does any lights come on on either side? Remember the light switch needs to be turned on to have brake lights under brake ( 2nd notch on top to right) unlike a civilian vehichle and service drive (3rd notch to right on top) for night tail lights.

You have to get used to using the switch in a mv as it threw me off at the beginning.

Good Luck!

Attachments

rrrr

Jeff,

If you want, bring the truck up to my place and we'll go over everything in detail and try and fix the small issues. Give me a call and we'll get together.

We should be able to fix the brake and turn signal issue quickly and I'll show you how to service and check the truck.

commandojeff

I am learning so much about this truck already. I have been outside for the last two days after work messing with stuff. I will crawl under the truck, look around, then go to the manual and read about what the parts are that I'm curious about. I fixed a bunch of little things. I'm thinking about taking off the top part of the exhaust pipe, sanding it, and shooting it with some high temp paint... but for now, I will mess with the lights first.

Ray,
I think I will buy that fail safe off of you sometime. I figure for the price, I might as well just try switching it and see if that's my problem. If not, then I have a spare.

Last edited:

rrrr

Jeff,

Your doing this right. The TM's are a great place to start. The 9 series tm's are not well done. The tm's for the deuce however are works of art. The forum has helped me many times when the tm's where lacking. Hang tuff and you'll be an expert in no time !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks