• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923a2 multi fuel?

mcmud

My buddy recently told me this vehicle can run on anything. Meaning diesel, biodiesel, gas, e85, etc. How much of that is true? I don't think I'd ever try the gas in a diesel, sounds a little too far fetched for me. What exactly can I run it on? I've seen people post SVO, ATF, WVO, and also telling to filter this all. What does all that mean? Thanks for any help!!

armytruck63

I stick to straight diesel in my M923. Every once in a while I dump a quart of two-stroke motor oil in the tank to add some lubricity to the modern ultra low-sulfur diesel fuel, but that's it.

searls84

Stick to diesel. It won't hurt to mix a little ATF in the tank from time to time, it helps clean the fuel system and adds a little lubricity.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M923A2 has a Cummins 8.3L diesel engine. It is not designed to run anything except pump diesel. It is not a multi-fuel engine like the older Deuces have.

Can you run other fuel in it? Sure but at what cost. The injector pump on the engine is a very expensive item to repair and replace. A couple of grand.

We have an entire forum dedicated to Alternative Fuels. You may want to spend some time there.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per Cummins service bulletin 3379001, the 6CTA is permitted to run up to 7% biodiesel. When beginning to do this, you are also supposed to change your fuel filters at the change over and then at half the normal maintenance interval, due to the detergent behavior of the biodiesel. That's the only 'alternative fuel' that the 6CTA is approved to run by the manufacturer.

armytruck63

huh? how's that?
The red color of the ATF can be mistaken for the red dye added to "off road" diesel fuel. You can get in trouble if you are ever stopped and they think you are running non-taxed off road diesel fuel on the highway. There are big fines for this.

Gunzy

huh? how's that?
The red dye in ATF is the same dye they put in "Off Highway Diesel" and can cause the mistaken thought of you running the "Off Highway" fuel illegaly. It's an expensive ticket and will be up to you to prove it was ATF which will require lawyers and litigation and that's no going to be cheap either. Stick with two-stoke oil or maybe a quart or 2 of new motor oil.

Carlo

I have been running ( only very warm summer months 20c minimum) sunflower oil, soybean oil for 16 years in All my trucks, tanks, cars and van. I have had ZERO problems with injectors and pumps. Zero smoke. Fuel at the pump costs €1.89 per liter. Sunflower oil costs .86 to 1.00 per liter.
I have had problems trying to use it to late in the year as in late September. It's to thick and won't flow when the temp drops to 20c or less.
I swear by it. It's illegal to use here but I will continue to use it!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would NOT run ATF though your Cummins ip, ATF has friction enhancers which in turn will NOT help the ip, run a gal. of two stroke every tank or at least every other one.

3rdaavbn

Automatic transmission fluid is red and if stopped by DOT on the roadways they will see if the greenish yellow die put in Highway diesel (to show if it is taxed) is in the fuel tank.
Red totally changes green. I have heard fines up to 5K. not worth it if you are on public roads.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old co-worker was nailed at a livestock auction in OK.
Agents were checking the trucks with farm tags.
Yep, he was running red diesel and they busted him on the spot with a ticket for $2600