• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923A2 No 5th Gear?

acme66

Asking for a friend since I am not sure if there are specific differences between the A1s that I have and his A2. Recent fluid change, all by the book. 30 min of idle in neutral before driving. On the first flush the truck ran drove normally, shifted better but ran normally. On the second flush the truck will not slip into 5th gear except at crazy high RPMs. First thought was the shift tower but he said it was firmly in 5th and one click up put it into neutral. The A2's don't have a door in the floor right, shift linkage routing is all the same on an A1 and a A2 right? My recommendation was to let it idle in gear reverse/forward with the brakes set for a few minutes and then test drive again. Truck is new and tight and I can't think of what would cause the sudden loss of 5th other than just some air still trapped. Other ideas?

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnSnow

Double check that the shift linkage is adjusted correctly. To clarify double check the slack adjustment at the throttle linkage on the IP.

acme66

NEW INFORMATION BELOW

Asking for a friend since I am not sure if there are specific differences between the A1s that I have and his A2. Recent fluid change, all by the book. 30 min of idle in neutral before driving. On the first flush the truck ran drove normally, shifted better but ran normally. On the second flush the truck will not slip into 5th gear except at crazy high RPMs. First thought was the shift tower but he said it was firmly in 5th and one click up put it into neutral. The A2's don't have a door in the floor right, shift linkage routing is all the same on an A1 and a A2 right? My recommendation was to let it idle in gear reverse/forward with the brakes set for a few minutes and then test drive again. Truck is new and tight and I can't think of what would cause the sudden loss of 5th other than just some air still trapped. Other ideas?

Ken

New Information Edit: Ok sounds like the second time he filled the transmission with the truck running in neutral. After trying what I suggested it is shifting into 5th better now but still sort of high rpm compared to my trucks. Lets not dwell on his mistake but rather work over if we think the trany is toast. The converter would have a bunch of fluid in it, idling the pump would not be turning over very fast and since he was adding fluid to it it couldn't have be dry very long, not long enough to wipe it out in my opinion. I am basing that observation only off of demo derby cars that I have seen go through worse then but come back to life after a refill. Can anyone else offer an educated idea?

acme66

I have to ask.. Why did he leave the truck running?

I think a misunderstanding of checking with engine running in neutral. He is very skilled it was just one of those things we all do from time to time. I just hope the pump in the transmission is ok. I am sure as long as there was some oil, even if it is just foam it will be fine. Be awful to drop a tranny because of a silly thing. He said he would text/call if anything wasn't right and he hasn't. I take that as a good sign.

Ken

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea let me tell ya changing a tranny out is no fun.
Did it once never want to do it again.

162tcat

Tranny probably needs to come out and be repaired. If you were to change your engine oil with the engine running but not the oil filter, the results would probably be the same....

lindsey97

Check the governor filter for trash. And there is a filter inside the trans pan also, much like a car.

Governor filter is on the back of the trans, below the output shaft, behind a pipe plug. it is a small metal mesh filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks