• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923a2 rebuild

smokem joe

I'm looking at a 923a2 rebuilt by Blount Island / Honeywell. Anyone know anything about the quality of their rebuilds? I know to avoid Red River if I could help it.
Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Very few blount island A2s. Mostly AOs. And even they had bad rebuild motors just like RRAD. I had 2 of em blown a hole in the block at 30 miles

Would be better off with an RSMS truck out of Kansas or Camp Shelby.

smokem joe

I was hoping for USMC just for the lockers. Not a deal breaker. It is the solid green just as described in that thread with paint peeling under the bed.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was hoping for USMC just for the lockers. Not a deal breaker. It is the solid green just as described in that thread with paint peeling under the bed.
Lockers are about $600 per unit from red barn customs and take a little bit to install.

Remember only 8000 miles isn't always a good thing. Could have major items rotting like torque rod inserts, tires, any rubber really for that matter. It was rebuilt probably in 2008 to 2011. You may have a can of worms from that little mileage on it since it may not have had any PM done to it since it was owned. Might go for a long road trip and every wheel seal blow out or even worse drive train seals.

smokem joe

Lockers are about $600 per unit from red barn customs and take a little bit to install.

Remember only 8000 miles isn't always a good thing. Could have major items rotting like torque rod inserts, tires, any rubber really for that matter. It was rebuilt probably in 2008 to 2011. You may have a can of worms from that little mileage on it since it may not have had any PM done to it since it was owned. Might go for a long road trip and every wheel seal blow out or even worse drive train seals.

That's less than I thought they'd be! I realize low mileage/hour units are more problems. I've bought a bunch of gen sets and almost all the very low hour ones had issues not seen in anything with 1k and up hours. Tires look decent, but will be a 4 hour road trip home so a little worried about everything else if I purchase it. Next weekend should know for sure after a test drive.

sandcobra164

Do a quick search about Blount Island. They don't have a depot rebuild facility on-site. They offload and onload equipment onto boats, do operational checks and make sure the basic issue items are associated with equipment headed out to sea.

smokem joe

I think $600 is for a spool and the lockers are around $1200.
That is more what I would have expected. Didn't do any research to verify though.

Honeywell is the contractor for Blount Island. Google that and it comes up with it. Rebuild tag says Blount Island/Honeywell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks