• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923a2 sluggish on take off

todds112

My truck seems to be sluggish on take off from a stop. Almost like it's trying to start off in second gear. It's definitely in first, verified by shifting the gears manually. Searching, I found mention of the torque converter staying locked up when it goes into first gear, but I didn't find any fixes or how to test it for sure. Could that be it?

Once it gets rolling it's fine and shifts normally and gets up to speed normally. It just seems "weak" starting off. Any suggestions on what to check and how?

sandcobra164

My old wrecker (M936A2) was like that. It idled low and would struggle to run to 2,000 rpm in neutral. New fuel filter's did wonders on that truck but the problem would come back. My truck had developed algae in the fuel tanks from sitting month to month. The Guard put new tanks on it, flushed the lines and then DRMO'd it a few months later when the M1089 showed up. With the new tanks and flushed lines, it ran great and gave no further problems. I don't exactly miss it though. The newer M1089A1P2 that I operate has A/C which comes in handy in GA.

Jeepsinker

Look around your turbo where the flange bolts to the exhaust manifold. If you see any evidence of exhaust leaks, there is your problem. You need to tighten the bolts or replace the gasket I bet. I have this problem right now, blown turbo flange gasket. It won't hardly move from a stop, but once it gets moving it is fine. Burns a lot more fuel too.

todds112

I was more concerned that there was something wrong with it. Looking at the "Turning up" thread, I'm thinking it might be normal. I am planning on changing all the filters soon. The tank looked spotless and the fuel was very clean when I got it.

"If the converter was locked then when you come to a stop the engine would stall." Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'm over thinking things again.

I'm too chicken to mess with the IP settings. If it's "normal" I can live with it.

todds112

Look around your turbo where the flange bolts to the exhaust manifold. If you see any evidence of exhaust leaks, there is your problem. You need to tighten the bolts or replace the gasket I bet. I have this problem right now, blown turbo flange gasket. It won't hardly move from a stop, but once it gets moving it is fine. Burns a lot more fuel too.
I will check that, thx!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do your basic maintenance first, then modify(and post questions).

mcmullag

Kinda sounds normal to me. Both I have owned are slow from a stop but within 30 feet of rolling it starts shifting up and moving out nicely. I figure it is just physics, trying to get 11 tons moving from a standstill.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have found a wide range of power in the 8.3 coming from the military. Some are adjusted way down. I find tractors usually are set a bit higher. A few turns on the fuel screw should cure your woes.