• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

923a2 won't shift out of neutral

TexAndy

Could be. I would think the retainer pin (item 3) would keep that from happening, tho. I'll bet if I disconnect the cable and try to turn the lever by hand, it'll tell me real quick if the shaft is disconnected from the detent plate. It'll be way too easy to turn is my guess.

Harbor freight has a 2k pound capacity low profile transmission jack for 300 bucks. 20% coupon through february, so 240 bucks after coupon. Is that the kind of jack I'm looking for? Or would that be overkill?

Last edited:

tstates

We were recovering 5 tons in WI. One truck would not shift into any gear. It was about 10 F. The truck sat and idled for 2 hours, When we came back to it. It shifted just fine. Seemed like some sort of valve body or something just wasn't moving after sitting so long and or the cold. Good luck.

TexAndy

We were recovering 5 tons in WI. One truck would not shift into any gear. It was about 10 F. The truck sat and idled for 2 hours, When we came back to it. It shifted just fine. Seemed like some sort of valve body or something just wasn't moving after sitting so long and or the cold. Good luck.
Thank you for reminding me. That is one thing I kind of want to try. Just because it is easy. And I like easy.

It's been getting up in the low 90s here the past couple of days, so I don't think the could has anything to do with it, but still...

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes , Got my HD transmission jack at Harbor Freight , with a coupon . It will work , even through it is China Built . IMHO , even if you purchased a Name Brand jack , it is probably still made in China . As I said just take your time and find a SOLIDER B to help .

TexAndy

Ran the engine for about 45 or 50 minutes. Got the engine up to about 160F

Alternator was only charging at 23.9. So there's another issue. But I did clean the batt terminals, put dialectric grease on them, then tightened the cables down. Also, got the three little wires hooked up properly (I think) with new ring terminal on one.

ABS warning light wouldn't turn off. Buzzer wouldn't turn off. And I could definitely hear air coming from somewhere behind the CTIS shield on the front passenger side wheel. More issues.

Radiator fan clutch never engaged, but I think maybe that's normal. Like I didn't get the engine hot enough to activate the valve.

Transmission fluid temp never got very warm, but I checked it anyways. Still read a little low, so I put a quart of 10w-30 in it (couldn't find straight 10W), which put the line right at the bottom of the normal run line. Transmission still won't respond.

So I think I've exhausted the easiest, least invasive attempts. Next I will tow it down the road to my place, drain the transmission oil, drop the pan, and see if I can see the manual selector shaft/detent lever from the bottom with the pan off. I'm not real hopeful. To do a replacement of that manual selector shaft, the TM calls for the transmission to be out, upside down, and have both the selector valve as well as the valve assemblies above that one out. Now, I'm not doing a manual selector shaft replacement (I hope), so maybe all that won't be strictly necessary. Cross your fingers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks