• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

925 5 ton question - CDL Required?

Big_Papa

Hello!

New member here from SC. I was looking at a 925 5 ton truck and I wanted to know if I need a CDL to drive it in SC.

Thanks very much!

Bighurt

:popcorn:

Short answer, You need a Class B to operate the M925 due to weight. Unless you register it light. There is no separate endorsement for air brakes in SC.

I would say yes.

However I would use the same argument many use with taxes; Tax law is complicated it's just easier to pay someone, DOT law can be complicated so sometimes it's just easier to have a CDL.

Last edited:

Bighurt

In some states if you register it for personal use only, then it's my understanding you don't need a CDL.
Most states don't differentiate between vehicle class and commercial drivers license. In ND for example if you need a Class A or B you need to take the commercial test to gain the endorsement. However if operating the vehicle as non-commercial you aren't required to maintain a medical card.

California used to have a Non commercial Class A, this is mostly for the big RV's and tandem tow, and from my understanding has changed somewhat since I abandoned the state.

The nature of our Hobby is that anything larger than a M35 will need a Class B or Class A nationwide. For those classes it is simply easier to just get a CDL.

Your basic CDL is cheap even the medical card, and lets face it some of us could use an annual physical. Most vehicles are operated as non commercial so insurance is cheap and you don't need any expensive endorsements to operate them tank trailers can be iffy.

The problem is the CDL vehicle class situation across the board is convoluted and confusing. I'm sure the OP did a search was confused and posed the question here for clarification or a simple answer.

In the end I look at the CDl as a coupon, if you have it you can always find a job.

Bighurt

Btw, there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement, but there is an an air brake restriction.
Semantics, if I have to take a test to get a hazmat, triples, doubles, etc. The test I have to take to get air brakes is under the same nature. An endorsement!

Just because it's not listed as such is superfluous.

The same goes for manual vs automatic.

rmgill

Air assisted hydraulics may or may not qualify as being Air brakes.

Vacuum assist also uses air pressure for it's assist, it's just air pressure on the other side of the diaphragm.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

If you meet the wrong DOT guy you are going to get a ticket and then have to prove your case in court.....even if you win you will prob pay court cost and have to waste your time going to court.

With all the hungry trial lawyers out there having a CDL is proof that you take operating a large vehicle seriously and have learned the laws that govern their use.

If you have an accident that would help your case in court if you got sued.

I renew my CDL and keep my medical card valid because of all the clueless morons that are out on the highways looking for an accident to cause.

armytruck63

Agree with Wreckerman 100%. Besides, if your current job tanks, you can get a commercial driving job.

In California, a class B with air brake endorsement is required to legally drive a deuce because:
1. It has three axles and weighs over 6000 lbs.
2. Any vehicle with a compressor and air pressure gage as part of the brake system is considered to have air brakes, even air over hydraulic.

Getting a CDL is not all that hard or scary, it just take a little time and effort (studying and practicing). After all, the guy that picks up your garbage has a CDL. If he can do it, you can.

rmgill

Well, when I tried to get it for my Non-commercial Class A I could not. So....ymmv.

I'm not getting a commercial license for operating a vehicle that's not commercial. Does everyone have a business license for their non-business activities? Just in case some clueless cop has an issue?

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big_Papa...I agree with most who have already posted. Get it and be good in the eyes of the law. Was sort of a necessity for me, one, the litigious nature of our society (especially in CA) and , two, my employer would hang me out to dry if I was not following the law.

Please do not succumb to the CDL naysayers. Like it was said before, it not that hard of an undertaking to get one.

The medical aspect is also a good one. It keeps me visiting my Doc to get the ole' fluids checked;)
On my last physical, found my thyroid shut down on me. A little meds and 25+lbs lost later, I'm happy as a clam[thumbzup]

spicergear

I just took and passed my knowledge portion of the PA CDL test. I got the air brake endorsement and tanker endorsement. The guy told me that over 50,000 people fail the CDL test in PA yearly. I will say the knowledge portion is pretty tough. Still have to take the skills test, going for Class C then I shouldn't have to worry about driving the big toys. In PA you need the air brake endorsement on FULL AIR BRAKE trucks, not air overs.

preyn2

Word to the wise: While I realize you "can drive the truck just fine", if you're going to use your deuce (5-ton, 10-ton, whatever) for your driving test, in Texas the Trooper giving you your driving test may ask to see the driver's license of the person who drove that vehicle to the test site or LOFS (because remember...you aren't licensed to drive it yet...). I had a LOFS (Licensed Operator Front Seat) with me when I went to take my first test (and he was asked to show his license), and I have been the LOFS for others taking their test (and have been asked to show my license several times).

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the mty weight of the 925 is around 26000, you should need an CDL to drive legally. And, should you put anything in the bed, and you get stopped, the SC transportation officer WILL NOT be your friend.

Blind Driver

wreckerman893;1044848]With all the hungry trial lawyers out there having a CDL is proof that you take operating a large vehicle seriously and have learned the laws that govern their use.
QUOTE]

The CDL holder is normally the one who gets the blame in an accident :(

Semantics, if I have to take a test to get a hazmat, triples, doubles, etc. The test I have to take to get air brakes is under the same nature. An endorsement!

Just because it's not listed as such is superfluous.

The same goes for manual vs automatic.
Actually, it's an automatic transmission restriction. Much like must having to wear glasses or only driving during the daytime :deadhorse:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Word to the wise: While I realize you "can drive the truck just fine", if you're going to use your deuce (5-ton, 10-ton, whatever) for your driving test, in Texas the Trooper giving you your driving test may ask to see the driver's license of the person who drove that vehicle to the test site or LOFS (because remember...you aren't licensed to drive it yet...). I had a LOFS (Licensed Operator Front Seat) with me when I went to take my first test (and he was asked to show his license), and I have been the LOFS for others taking their test (and have been asked to show my license several times).
:ditto:
Agreed. Luckily my good neighbor has a CA CDL A no restrictions and full endorsements.

Another word of advice. Rent a commercial truck (not a U-Haul or Penske "Joe-Blow" moving van) that is OVER 26Klbs GVWR, standard shift and air brake equipped. Avoid using your MV. Between the pre-trip, skills and road test you'll thank me in the end.

treessw

Also, as stated before, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Fines are steep, Jail time sucks and doesn't get better no matter how many times you go, and keeping your license is a plus to :beer:. Just study for it, school, what ever it takes!!! Do it Right!!!

Take it serious. Once you have it, you have it. Also remember it changes the legal limit from .08 to .04 so really take this serious!!!

saddamsnightmare

January 26th, 2012.

Preyn2:

I still wish I was in Texas with the true duece, as a privately owned vehicle, a deuce at 24,500 GVW in non-commerical service does not require anything more then a standard driver's license there... Here in IL...nothing over 16,000Lbs gross, it's just the way they are. A 5 or 10 ton, you probably do need the CDL, better you guys then me, I don't need it or want it, and a U1300L Unimog wilkl haul 4 tons on or off road without the CDL. The S404.114 will haul 2-1/4 on or off road without CDL.fat lady sings

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been talk of making you go to truck driving school to obtain a CDL. I'm not sure it's not already the case in TN. A friend of mine lost his job and was wanting to get a CDL to open up more options. They told him at the local drivers testing station that they wouldn't let him take the test unless he had a "diploma" from a accredited truck driving school.

I got my CDL back when I was 18. It has always came in handy even without a truck driving job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks