• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

925 or 813?

Deucejunkie

I have $15,000 and need some opinions. 813 or 925? Which is more reliable if the both were restored from ground up? Parts availability? Is the 925 have upgrades the 813 doesnt? You know, those types of ?s I love them both, but want to make the best purchase. Thanks

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
813 w/winch= Manual trans, NHC250 Cummins, stock 11.00x20 tires, air over hydraulic brakes, cab slightly smaller than a 939 series
925= Auto trans, NHC250 Cummins, air brakes, stock 11.00x20 tires, slightly larger cab
925A1= Auto trans, NHC250 Cummins, air brakes, stock single 14.00x20 tires, slightly larger cab
925A2= Auto trans, 8.3 Cummins, air brakes, stock single 14.00x20 tires, slightly larger cab, central tire inflation

The differences in a nutshell. Now go forth and read! There are many opinions offered here, just search by truck model.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Having a M925 I am partial. However the benifits if you see them as such are.

-roomier cab
-auto tranny
-8.3L cummins if you buy an A2

Downsides;

-Some municipalities don't let the younger truck qualify as antique of classic. Registration costs
-no manual tranny

I'm sure others will add their comments.

Edit; personally I see CITS as a nightmare to get rid of vs a selling point. I'm sure the military saw the need but I don't need it.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've heard my M813 w/w is looking for a new home as well.

Manual or auto... personal preference. I've never owned a M925, but elsewhere here I've seen the auto trans is expensive to repair. But then again I've never repaired a manual trans either...:lol:

Deucejunkie

Ebay has two 813's. They actually both came from same company in SanClamente. Restored from ground up. Im not the most mechanically inclined person so i need new...... or as close to new as I can get.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M925a2 hands down.

The 8.3l is quieter than the nhc250
CTIS is very simple to block off. Just insert valve stem cores on each wheel.
The tilting hood gives better access to the engine area.
The list goes on...

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I chose M939-series trucks for my recent purchases because the automatic transmission and true air brakes were features that I wanted. Based on the trucks I've seen coming through GL lately over here on the west coast and the budget that you stated, I think you will be able to put a very nice M939-series truck in your driveway, probably without needing to do much restoration at all. Each of my recent trucks (M923 and M936A1) were under $10k by the time they rolled onto my property, including fees, taxes and towing costs. And they both need only minor repairs and minor cosmetic touch-up in addition to normal preventative maintenance. They even came with most of the tools in the basic issue item lists.

Whichever family of trucks you choose, good luck and have fun!

tractors0130

Here's my 925A2 a few weeks ago during a parade, even had a few Soldiers to ride in the back, might be selling it in a few months to buy something else, haven't decided yet for sure. I like it better than I did my 813, 818, M35A2, M35A3 and my M923.

Attachments

midcounty

I highly doubt they "restore" their trucks "from the ground up".

I don't see them posting any pictures of the truck taken apart.....

There is a plentiful supply of m939's on GL now, some of them rebuilt within the past few years.
Have to agree. Most flippers just slap paint on a truck, look it over for leaks, maybe change the oil and filters, then call it refurbished and charge a fortune.

Durango_USMC

I'm shopping for a M925A1... but for 15k, you could get an 813 W/W and the M925 then figure out which one you like more. Just remember no reverse in low range with the 939 series... Bad things happen. The only downside I see to the 939 series is the automatic transmission is going to be very expensive to have rebuilt if that time comes.

I'm not too terribly mechanically inclined either but if its in a TM I can do it. But if you're planning on having someone else do the servicing on it (from oil changes to repairs, to rebuilding...) I think it will get expensive very quick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks