• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

931 Brakes Locked at GL

SPCWarning

Been looking at 931's at GL. I've noticed on MANY of them, it will say "right rear wheel locked", or "right intermediate wheel locked", or similar. On some, both rears on one side are locked. I realize this is from the truck sitting, but is it something that can be temporarily repaired in the lot to make it roll onto a Lo-boy, or to even make it driveable? I've "caged" brakes on trailers before, but I know it wouldn't be safe (or even possible??) on the tractors. Shoes just stuck? Proportioning valve? Air line? Also I've noticed at least two in the videos that were locked at first, then after "dragging" one leg a little bit in the video it breaks free. I searched the forums and haven't found an answer. Anyone seen/dealt with this before? Looking to purchase a 931 asap. Thanks!

jwaller

yup, could be any number of reasons the wheel won't turn. until you start to work on it you will not know why and for anyone to guess as to why would be only that, just a guess.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes a drum and set of shoes will get stuck from sitting, weather, etc. Air it up, chock it , release the brakes and use a hammer to hit the drum. Most of the time that will un stick them. You can also try backing up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes a drum and set of shoes will get stuck from sitting, weather, etc. Air it up, chock it , release the brakes and use a hammer to hit the drum. Most of the time that will un stick them. You can also try backing up.
:ditto:

They could also be "camed over" if they are worn badly. What happens is the brake cam can go too far if the brakes are worn out causing the wheel to lock up. To fee it you need to back off the slack adjuster and give it w whack with a hammer to get it to release. It will more than likely lock again the next time you apply the brakes though. You can leave the slack adjuster backed off to keep it from locking up again but you won't have any brakes on that wheel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My buddy that's working at GL Shelby tells me that if you can get to the brake drums (trucks with super singles) you can apply a judicious beating with a BFH to get them to turn loose....the trucks with duals are harder to deal with.

Csm Davis

Okay here's the deal on the locked brakes at Camp Shelby on the 939 series trucks they have a couple different things going on first is humidity down here makes any bare metal down here rust so clamped down brake shoes almost weld to the drums, and these are wedge not cam style air brakes and the wedge and actuator rod will also stick. So caging them will help to get them unstuck but not always, beating them on the drums while rocking the trucks back and forth seems to work best, but must pull inner wheels to get at them on the duel wheeled trucks. All this said there's some that this doesn't work on. Okay now please guys please understand these trucks are NOT at a gl lot or drmo lot they are on a working rebuild yard sold as is where is. There's no gl personnel to load you and the personnel that work at this lot are Not there to load or work on gl trucks if another truck is in the way and they have time they will move a few trucks but they have other work that'll come first.

spicergear

Actually there was a post not long ago with a guy or a guy's buddy working for GL saying that a LOT of the 900's had the brakes stuck like you're referring to. Several members slapped on a 'Thank' for the info.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bite the bullet and hire a wrecker to load the truck(s) on a step deck trailer. It costs about $300-700 depending upon your location and the amount of time the wrecker will be there.

SPCWarning

Actually there was a post not long ago with a guy or a guy's buddy working for GL saying that a LOT of the 900's had the brakes stuck like you're referring to. Several members slapped on a 'Thank' for the info.
Thanks, I searched everywhere I could, just learning to find my way around here. I thought I checked all the possibile posts. I'll spend more time searching for anything linked to my questions from now on before I ask.

SPCWarning

Bite the bullet and hire a wrecker to load the truck(s) on a step deck trailer. It costs about $300-700 depending upon your location and the amount of time the wrecker will be there.
Hoping I won't have to do that, but it's not out of the question. The location is only about an hour and a half from home. A step deck is definitely available tho. Thanks

Last edited: