• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 a2 missing large fuel filter

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have had 3 trucks like that..unusual..They just had a small inline fuel filter and the small spin on one..

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they originally came out with the little inline filter and the spin on filter on the side of the block (they might have come out with only the spin on filter...I have not been able to confirm that with a guy I know who bought out BMY). Sometime later, the military decided that the larger (older) fuel filter set up was more desirable (I agree) so they got rid of the inline filter and retrofitted the M939A0/A1 larger fuel filter to the A2s. John Winslow used to carry the NOS upgrade kits (God rest his soul), but I never bought one...wish I had. Most of the A2s I have had still have the original set up, though...even some of the trucks that have been reworked. The only benefit I can see to the older arrangement is that the inline filter is a breeze to swap out, even on the side of the road, and that filter takes the brunt of the dirt (it's size also makes it more likely to clog). Plus, they are cheap (something like $3-4 each).

5tonman1971

Nice setup looks like the original fittings from the canister filter, got any information on it?
Its a fleet guard filter head part number 330236700S and the filter part number is fs1006 the bolt pattern on the head is a direct fit no need to drill extra holes it fights in the large canister filter holes.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the A2's came out without the big filter, over in the sand box they way to much problems with the little finline ilter pluging up.
So they did a work order and added the big filter back to the trucks.

I ordered one of the mounts that 5tonman1971 has.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

I believe they originally came out with the little inline filter and the spin on filter on the side of the block (they might have come out with only the spin on filter...I have not been able to confirm that with a guy I know who bought out BMY). Sometime later, the military decided that the larger (older) fuel filter set up was more desirable (I agree) so they got rid of the inline filter and retrofitted the M939A0/A1 larger fuel filter to the A2s. John Winslow used to carry the NOS upgrade kits (God rest his soul), but I never bought one...wish I had. Most of the A2s I have had still have the original set up, though...even some of the trucks that have been reworked. The only benefit I can see to the older arrangement is that the inline filter is a breeze to swap out, even on the side of the road, and that filter takes the brunt of the dirt (it's size also makes it more likely to clog). Plus, they are cheap (something like $3-4 each).
:ditto:

When the A2's first came out the inline filter was a problem. Some units replaced the inline filter with a newer filter and some just removed it all together.
i had a new A2 back in the early 90's and was broke down on I-95 because of a little water in the inline filter. We carried spares all the time.

later the OMS Shops installed the large filter kit on some of the A2's but not all of them. Here in Florida that is.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little off topic Csm Davis, what's the top speed on your 936A2, are they geared different than the other A2's? I can't get mine above 53MPH. Maybe i need to change the filter, mine only has the small filter on the engine btw, doesn't look like it ever had the big filter mount..

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little off topic Csm Davis, what's the top speed on your 936A2, are they geared different than the other A2's? I can't get mine above 53MPH. Maybe i need to change the filter, mine only has the small filter on the engine btw, doesn't look like it ever had the big filter mount..
I have driven a M936A2 and they will go over 53mph, Like you said you may have a filter problem.

hklvette

My 931A2 has the big filter setup, and I certainly appreciated its capacity when I did its first filter change in my possession this year. The amount of garbage that came out of that canister was disgusting. I doubt a spin-on type could have handled that much trash. Don't know where it came from, since the tanks look very clean.

goldneagle

Its a fleet guard filter head part number 330236700S and the filter part number is fs1006 the bolt pattern on the head is a direct fit no need to drill extra holes it fights in the large canister filter holes.
I looked up the parts you provided. About $100 for the base and filter. Donaldson makes a base that cross -references to the Fleetguard listed. It is cheaper but aluminum instead of iron. Same 1-1/4"-12 thread for the filter.
Part Number:
P174770
Replaces Part Number:3302367S
Manufacturer:DONALDSON

Description:

MOUNT HEAD
DONALDSON REPLACEMENT FOR FLEETGUARD 3302367S

Your Price:

$37.11

Julian

I have never heard of a steel airliner. It is all about the design specs and compliance therewith. Aluminum is lighter, easier to fabricate, but costs more.