• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

95% Legal Deuce in SOCAL

montecarlo31

well that was a good read with lots of good info but...... what are you guys using for insurance? I've got Nationwide, did you just call your agent say hey, got me a deuce and need some coverage?

Thanks in advance:?:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
well that was a good read with lots of good info but...... what are you guys using for insurance? I've got Nationwide, did you just call your agent say hey, got me a deuce and need some coverage?

Gulfway. Ther motto is: "We're faster than GL, but not by much". :)

250 for the year.

I am so glad I got my plates in VA. Cost me $140 for permanent historical plates. Didn't need to bring the truck by or any thing. I thought anything diesel and over a certain age was exempt from the emissions stuff in CA?

Brock Steel

Kendelrio, .01% = child support payments. Clip and snip + condom = 100% insurance coverage.:-D

P.S on my wifes truck we just went Regular Calif plates cost around 900 bucks with taxes etc but she drives it everywhere.

Attachments

Last edited:
I just acquired a M109A3. Paid the tax thru GL, went to AAA NOT DMV!! Registered it as a motorhome, the cost was $78.00 , got a temporary permit , Got it verified from a local sherrif , will receive the sf97soon, and it will be completed.
AAA will NOT insure anything over a 1 ton truck! I suggest not to deceive the insurance section since it will bite you in the butt if you get into a wreck and then they will find out its a duece and probably not pay according to the fine print.
You can register it as a histerical vehicle and get histerical insurance with the downfall of only being able to drive it for only 2500 miles a year.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just acquired a M109A3. Paid the tax thru GL, went to AAA NOT DMV!! Registered it as a motorhome, the cost was $78.00 , got a temporary permit , Got it verified from a local sherrif , will receive the sf97soon, and it will be completed.
AAA will NOT insure anything over a 1 ton truck! I suggest not to deceive the insurance section since it will bite you in the butt if you get into a wreck and then they will find out its a duece and probably not pay according to the fine print.
You can register it as a histerical vehicle and get histerical insurance with the downfall of only being able to drive it for only 2500 miles a year.
Where is it written that a historical vehicle can only be driven 2500 per year?

AmericanSteelWmn

when I got our M35A2 + the trailer...I called my insurance carrier, and read the vin number off the title...by the vin, that should tell the insurance co. everything they need to know. keep in mind that they need to know what year it is, or they may try to tell you that you haven't given them enough digits. Then again, We got it from an individual, not GL (thank God...from what I have read that route is a nightmare) She was insured before we took it off the guys property. That's also in VA too. it may be different in other states.

Gulfway. Ther motto is: "We're faster than GL, but not by much". :)

250 for the year.
Where is it written that a historical vehicle can only be driven 2500 per year?
the vehicle code book, there are sections on collectors vehicles, special interest vehicles and histerical vehicles. Also unless they have changed the laws, it used to be that if you were late on your renual fee , you did not have to pay penalities if it was registered as an histerical vehicle, because there exempt from PNO fees.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the vehicle code book, there are sections on collectors vehicles, special interest vehicles and histerical vehicles. Also unless they have changed the laws, it used to be that if you were late on your renual fee , you did not have to pay penalities if it was registered as an histerical vehicle, because there exempt from PNO fees.
I've never seen that or heard that, but in CA anything is possible. Anyone else heard this?

I've never seen that or heard that, but in CA anything is possible. Anyone else heard this?

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

Added Ch. 753, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

259. "Collector motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle owned by a collector, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5051, and the motor vehicle is used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation, and is not used primarily for transportation.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 107, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:
(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.
(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.
(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.
(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".
The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".
Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.
(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.
(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.
(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.
(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

As far as the 2500 mile limit, the historical vehicle insurance companies have a mile limit that i have seen on past policies.
Now i can go to bed

here is a good one, now in Calif. you have to keep your Historical vehicle out of the public view or sight!!! registered or not!

5052. Except as otherwise provided by local ordinance, a collector
may maintain one or more vehicles described in Section 5051, whether
currently licensed or unlicensed, or whether operable or inoperable,
in outdoor storage on private property, if every such vehicle and
outdoor storage area is maintained in such manner as not to
constitute a health hazard and is located away from public view, or
screened from ordinary public view, by means of a suitable fence,
trees, shrubbery, opaque covering, or other appropriate means.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the 2500 mile limit, the historical vehicle insurance companies have a mile limit that i have seen on past policies.
Now i can go to bed
My only question was the 2500 mile limit "law". I did not see that in there, nor have I heard that before. My insurance (Gulfway) doesn't have that restriction in the policy.

Last edited:

Be careful with Nationwide. I had them for 4 years before I got my duece. When i got it they said they could insure it no problem. Then a month later I got a a voicemail that said that as of that call I was no longer insured by nationwide on any of my vehicles due to the size of the duece. They just left me hanging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks