• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'96 6.5t/4L80E

V8Astro

A friend of mine scored a wrecked 1996 2wd pickup. As the title suggests I'm buying the engine/trans/PCM/everything from him. I'm going to transplant all this into my '84 M1008.

I've done engine swaps before....1990 L98 Corvette engine in an 89 GMC Safari :beer:. Built my own single turbo SBC 4-door Impala....yadda yadda. My M1008 is lfted 4" and has 37's. This shoud be interesting pulling the engine/trans. I might get some junk wheels and set bolt them on. Set it right on the pavement

I have an NP241 from my scrapped '89 GMC Suburban (RH drop woowoo!) I want to use on this project. Unless someone can vouch for the NP208 (or tell me how to double them). I've been trolling the internet and Alldata for wiring diagrams and info on what I need.

I'm sure I'll have to switch the output shaft from the 2wd 4L80 with one from a 4wd. Will my current TH400-NP208 adapter work with 4L80 and NP241? This is my first deep adventure into 4wd stuff. Except for the AWD Astro van I put an NP231 in. But that was easy...except the $400 worth of driveshafts. That hurt.

Pics will come.

Last edited:

southdave

I belive the out put shaft on the trans. is wrong, use the search function, I remember it was covered a few times when I did the 700r4 swap..
I think the spline count 33 for 400, 700r4, 28, 4l80, 30... some 208 have 28 spline what works on 700r4

Last edited:

bjsmith

Turbo 400 and 4l80 have same spline count on output shaft so you could bolt the np208 to the 4l80 after swapping output shaft. But one thing to take into consideration is that the 4l80 is longer than th400 so your driveshaft will be at a worse angle than it is now

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would buy a stand alone computer for the 4L and put a DB2 pump on it. I like the reliability of the mechanical pump.

V8Astro

The donor truck already has the PMD relocation kit done. Can I use the DB2 pump on it? I would like that better in the end anyway...

jdknech

DB2= no computer, but its shorter then the DS4 pump, so the injection lines would need to be "streched"(re-bent) you would not need the PMD :D (trust me, this is a good thing) all you need for turning up the pump is a allen wrench

DS4= computer, the PO$ PMD and a nightmare of wireing up to make work, and the pump had problems from the get go..

I would pick the DB2 pump and go with a stand-alone controler for the 4L80E trans.. just my 2cents

panzerwillie

to switch from 2 wheel drive to 4x4 in the 4l80E you have to take all the guts out to do it {done it twice} there are many lengths for that you need to find a short one and still makes shifts its all 2 inchs longer over all from the T400 , transgo makes a kit to switch it to vacuum shifts using a vacuum set up similar to a T400 so you can use the vacuum module in the IP {have not done it jet but have look in to it} i done both manual shift and stand alone , stand alone is very good, OPTISHIFT is the lat controller i used easy stuff , your tranfer case will work out of the M1008 and just need to cut rear shaft about 1 and 3/4 front works good and relocated crossmenber shifter shaft and lengths the rod about 2 inches2cents

V8Astro

That's why I love this site. So much info...

I would trade a little bit of power for the simplicity of the DB2 pump.

If I could make the whole setup all mechanical that would be GREAT! I found the vacuum mod on Trans-Go website. It doesn't say much about the function. I need to call or email and see if the vacuum mod will control the shift points or line pressure only.

I found a website that offers every kind of output shaft that was available. They also have the extensions housings if I need one.

86m1028

There is also some minor machine work to do if you use the
400's 205 adapter.
I've got one done, just trying to get it all back in the truck.

panzerwillie

One thing i forgot to mention, all the kits i mention are listed for gas vehicle do to the fact that there is no TB in diesel included the manual shift but we know that with the CUCV ip vacuum module you can supply the vacuum needed for the shift, however nothing beats the stand along OPTISHIFT where you can find tune shift speeds ,line PRSS , converter lockup and ect......

V8Astro

The engine harness is toast. Previous owner drove the truck for who knows how long with one of the fuel return lines spewing all over the harness. Fuel sat in the loom and the wire insulation poofed up like a gummy worm.

So I'm definatly going to use the DB2 pump on it. A shop here in town stocks the DB2 "4911" pump for the 6.5t. I will probably upgrade to that since my current DB2 is worn out.

I talked to US Shift about the OptiShift TCM. The unit sounds very cool. I'm looking forward to finally having a 4L80-E in one of my project vehicles.

More pics to come...

Let me know how it goes.... I'm gathering parts for a similar setup... I just found a 4l80 out of a 93' 1 ton 4x4 dually, I'm in the process of getting... should have it Wednesday... I spoke with Chris @ OD.. he said the 4l80 is only 1" longer than the 400... and that the 400/208 adapter will work, but will have to get lip machined .60

Whitfield

Let me know how it goes.... I'm gathering parts for a similar setup... I just found a 4l80 out of a 93' 1 ton 4x4 dually, I'm in the process of getting... should have it Wednesday... I spoke with Chris @ OD.. he said the 4l80 is only 1" longer than the 400... and that the 400/208 adapter will work, but will have to get lip machined .60
The 4L80E has different output shaft lengths for the stock 2WD transmission output shaft, but only one length of the 4WD output shaft, (the TH400 and 4L80E both have a 32 spline output shaft)

TH-400 case length = 24 3/8
4L80E case length = 26

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm going to jump in and do this conversion too, I have a 97 donor van with 65k a 6.5 and 4L80E runs and drives great.

Attachments

panzerwillie

If is a turbo engine in that van to put it in a CUCV may have to change it to the side mount turbo and the heads intake bolt patter are 60* compare to the truck which are 90* but if is NA is all good .

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
It's a turbo, knew about the turbo relocate, but not the intake/head bolt thing. . .

I wonder if I can find a door somewhere. . . . aua

Last edited: