• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

97 LMTV-M1078 Brake Help - MD

tow2gunner

OK - first problems - Inspection said "brakes were wet".I took off the wheel and brake drum - they were. Looks like gear oil(????). Cleaned them up, remounted everything. ran for a mile or so and when I got back, they were "wet again". Where the heck do I start? (I have MS - so changing the wheels is wearing me out!!) Is there anyone close that could help. (not looking for "free labor")? OR point me in the right direction to look. (I only have a tablet at home - and is a PITA to search the TM's on.. Computer at work..) Even recommend a shop close by.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
OK - first problems - Inspection said "brakes were wet".I took off the wheel and brake drum - they were. Looks like gear oil(????). Cleaned them up, remounted everything. ran for a mile or so and when I got back, they were "wet again". Where the heck do I start? (I have MS - so changing the wheels is wearing me out!!) Is there anyone close that could help. (not looking for "free labor")? OR point me in the right direction to look. (I only have a tablet at home - and is a PITA to search the TM's on.. Computer at work..) Even recommend a shop close by.
Inner hub seal is the only thing in there that could leak into that area. Inner hub seal # is A-1205-R-2254 available on ebay. No civilian # for it. That is if you didnt see any cracks that could be leaking in the hub. You need to check them for being dry. You don't want to burn them up.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check the axle vent line for being open to please. If I remember right the gear oil would have to go through two CTIS seals plus hub grease seal. Hard to happen but guess it could but you would also have a leaking CTIS in that hub. So might want to see about that. If I remember there is a Preventive maintenance kit that has both fuel filters oil filters, transmission filters plus new hub grease seals and the CTIS seals all in one. Might be a good thing to find. Also your going to need a couple of shim kits if everything else is good in the hubs other than the seals.

Last edited:

coachgeo

....Where the heck do I start? (I have MS - so changing the wheels is wearing me out!!) Is there anyone close that could help. (not looking for "free labor")? OR point me in the right direction to look. (I only have a tablet at home - and is a PITA to search the TM's on.. Computer at work..) Even recommend a shop close by.
Someone in another thread had a great idea for finding knowledgable help... go by your local National Guard... or Military Base nearby if one..... and ask if they are willing to put you in contact with Motor Pool personnel to see if anyone would be interested in off base work on a civilian FMTV. Maybe see if they will let you put a note on a bulletin board in their shop area? If so Post something like
seeking .... "paid help + Beer" for knowledgable FMTV mechanic / contact me at blah blah blah..."

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you using ctis? Unplug it, clean, test. Willing to bet the ctis seal is toast. On the front the inner wheel bearing is greased, if oil is there it’s for sure the ctis seal.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also changing those seals means pulling the reduction gears. On re install you will have to check the gear lash, will need some tools for that. Search the forum and it will help on the process

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks