• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9X20 NDT's vs. 11X20 NDT's vs. 395/80/20 MVT's

Redneckbmxer24

I got my deuce and my next move after a few small thing I'm doing right now is bigger wheels and tires a locker in the front and locking hubs. I've decided on a detroit locker and AVM hubs.

I'm very up in the air about tires and searching just leaves me with more questions. I can step up to 11x20 NDT's relatively cheap by time I sell my 9X20's and the MVT's would run me about $4000 for 8 before I sold the 9X20's.

How do the 11X20's perform compared to the 9X20's offroad? Are they noticeably better through mud and such? I haven't found much info of people comparing the two offroad. Also how much better offroad are the MVT's over the NDT's in both sizes? I realize they are going to be better but I have to decide if they are 4X the price of 11X20's better. I can buy a second deuce with the price difference, and I wouldn't ming getting a second as a spare parts truck.

I understand the advantages to singles vs. duals and it seems for most offroad or snow situations the singles are better because they won't pack up with snow, and the wider the tire under the engine the better.

Thanks in advance.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You can get 395's for waaay less than $4000. :eek: Even MVT's. Where in the world are you getting that price at?

micmccon

Man, getting stuck musta really motivated you dude! Hope you're enjoying your truck. I'll be getting mine as soon as my EUC clears (hopefully soon...) and I can get it home from the Fort Indiantown gap site. I will follow this thread so I don't get yelled at for asking the question about tires!:wink:

Redneckbmxer24

You can get 395's for waaay less than $4000. :eek: Even MVT's. Where in the world are you getting that price at?
The cheapest I've found the tires is $200 per tire for 80% tread and 8 comes to $1600 and the cheapest wheels I've found were the HEMMT converted wheels for about $300 a piece without any shipping. That comes to $4000 for 8 before any shipping or freight which will be another $500 or better.

Redneckbmxer24

Man, getting stuck musta really motivated you dude! Hope you're enjoying your truck. I'll be getting mine as soon as my EUC clears (hopefully soon...) and I can get it home from the Fort Indiantown gap site. I will follow this thread so I don't get yelled at for asking the question about tires!:wink:
Yes it did, I don't want it to happen again lol.

micmccon

I was thinking of switching to singles (I like the look ) to reduce the tire count and give it a cooler stance. I don't have any experience working with truck tire sizes so it's all greek to me. 20 years of working on cars and light trucks doesn't seem to translate well to larger vehicles in deciphering the sizes. I have to do some homework I guess....

scranch18121

It's funny that we are just like young kids. Got a 1500 car and put 2k worth aof wheels and tires and a 1500 stereo system and what do you have..... a car still worth 1500 bucks.

Buy a deuce from GL for 2k..... put double the cost of the deuce in tires and wheels on it. we never learn.

History continues to repaet itself.

Send pics when you have it set up.... i'd like to see the mod.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's funny that we are just like young kids. Got a 1500 car and put 2k worth aof wheels and tires and a 1500 stereo system and what do you have..... a car still worth 1500 bucks.

Buy a deuce from GL for 2k..... put double the cost of the deuce in tires and wheels on it. we never learn.

History continues to repaet itself.

Send pics when you have it set up.... i'd like to see the mod.
I had that mindset as well. And now I've got recentered hemtts and 395's on my deuce. LOL

Just because we paid $2K for the trucks, doesn't mean that's all they're worth. ;-)

scranch18121

I had that mindset as well. And now I've got recentered hemtts and 395's on my deuce. LOL

Just because we paid $2K for the trucks, doesn't mean that's all they're worth. ;-)
I know...... My truck is worth a fortune. I'm sure I will be getting new wheels and tires for mine (some day).

On the other hand. That's why you should tell a buddy.... if something happens to me, make sure my wife sells my truck for what I have in it or what it's worth ....not what my wife "thinks" I have in it or what it's worth !

ODdave

The cheapest I've found the tires is $200 per tire for 80% tread and 8 comes to $1600 and the cheapest wheels I've found were the HEMMT converted wheels for about $300 a piece without any shipping. That comes to $4000 for 8 before any shipping or freight which will be another $500 or better.
What am i missing? why 8?

ODdave

just curious but why would you need 2 spare rims? the tires are easy to change with the rim design. Not to mention you will probly play heII puncturing one of the 395's, Just a thought

Redneckbmxer24

It's a whole lot faster to change out the tire and wheel than it is to change the tire out on a rim, but I plan on picking up a few spare tires too down the road but for now 8 wheels and 8 tires are what I'm doing if I go with singles.

Redneckbmxer24

I off road and stuff happens. What's the problem with having multiple spares? We're only talking $600 for 2 spare wheels and the convenience of not having to change out a tire on the trail on top of already having to manhandle a heavy wheel and tire. Depending on what happens wheels can also fail and it would take a lot to wreck a wheel on one of these but anything is possible. The more spares the better as long as you have the cash to buy them and space for them in the bed.

ODdave

No thats fine, was just curious. where are you gonna carry the spares? If in the bed how are you gonna get your "dammaged" item back up there? Can we have some picks of your truck offroading?

P.S. we kick the sh** outta are trucks and never had a rim / tire issue

Redneckbmxer24

I'll carry them in the bed, I have a crane hoist that will mount on the side or just inside the bed I'll lift them in and out with. I posted a thread last week with pictures where I had my deuce stuck within 30 minutes of picking it up. Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean wheels and tires don't fail. I like to prepare and would rather have two spares in the bed should I ever need one or two than to need them and not have them.