• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

9X20 NDT's vs. 11X20 NDT's vs. 395/80/20 MVT's

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1100s are only marginally better off road. The section width is just a little wider but the tire is 4" taller. Load rating goes up a bunch which can be a blessing. SIdewall flex goes down.

Do you have an operational winch? Snatch blocks? Rigging? Snatch straps? Bigger tires just get you stuck deeper in the weeds so you will need a contingency plan. Don't always count on others, just saying. Deuces are nose heavy and get stuck quick at that end. Floatation on the front would be your friend or your enemy if they break through. My best advice for wheeling a deuce is some counterweight behind the rear axles. This will help with rear traction and also help counter all the front end weight.

Recap;

Have good self recovery equipment
Bigger tires get you stuck farther from terra firma
Have a contingency plan
Don't always count on help from others

Its no diffrent than the kids today buying a $500 car and putting a $4000 stereo system in it. Yes its only worth the $500, but it seems a little cooler. I thought I saw a set on a website that sells military truck parts for around $2500. Have you really shopped around and called and haggled with the people. Times are tough, some people want to make a deal.

Redneckbmxer24

1100s are only marginally better off road. The section width is just a little wider but the tire is 4" taller. Load rating goes up a bunch which can be a blessing. SIdewall flex goes down.

Do you have an operational winch? Snatch blocks? Rigging? Snatch straps? Bigger tires just get you stuck deeper in the weeds so you will need a contingency plan. Don't always count on others, just saying. Deuces are nose heavy and get stuck quick at that end. Floatation on the front would be your friend or your enemy if they break through. My best advice for wheeling a deuce is some counterweight behind the rear axles. This will help with rear traction and also help counter all the front end weight.

Recap;

Have good self recovery equipment
Bigger tires get you stuck farther from terra firma
Have a contingency plan
Don't always count on help from others
Thanks, so it probably really isn't worth it to go to the 11X20's then. Looks like the 395's are going to be the way to go.

My winch is somewhat operational, it has a bolt in it right now for the shear pin because the shear pin that was in it pulled the line tight and sheared off. I was also warned by the seller that it's the original cable which can be very brittle so it's not a good idea to use the winch until the cable is replaced. I do have snatch blocks and snatch straps though aswell as a F250 that I'm trying to figure out how to put a big winch on the front off for a recovery vehicle if stuff gets real bad. I also picked up some chain for chaining trees or 6x6 posts to the sides of the tires for recoveries but that won't do me much good if I go with the HEMMT wheels because theres nowhere to chain to.

Its no diffrent than the kids today buying a $500 car and putting a $4000 stereo system in it. Yes its only worth the $500, but it seems a little cooler. I thought I saw a set on a website that sells military truck parts for around $2500. Have you really shopped around and called and haggled with the people. Times are tough, some people want to make a deal.
I would say it's a bit different, that $4000 radio isn't going to do much besides annoy a bunch of people. The value on these things certainly go up when you do mods such as the singles, if not its easy to swap back with 9X20's and sell the singles seperately. Look at the bobbed deuces, those things sell for as much as you can build one for including shop labor.