• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a bad day and some help and insight would help

212sparky

today i took the deuce out to the farm today to do some work in the fields. on the way there the front started to shake, i figured it was just the country roads being some what rough, what i did knot know was that i lost three studs. my truck is now parked out at the farm next to the barn and i have to figure out how the replace the studs. i ordered new studs and nuts. my question is what am i in for in replacing the studs on the right front wheel? any tricks or tips would be nice and how hard is the brake drum going to be to get off? thanks for the help!! i did search and did not come up with any results i was looking for and i do have the manuals.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would leave the drum on the hub, just pull the hub, knock out the studs one at a time, replace, install the hub,

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This exact thing happened to me in April and then again about a month later. It comes from lug nuts working loose or not being tight enough when a tire was changed. You will need to verify the bolt holes on your tire rim are not out of round. Mine were and hence I had to do a repeat performance a month later.

Do not let the truck size nor this repair intimidate you. It did me at first. Remember, I went to the school for the mechanically declined. I can do this job in about 30 minutes now. It's quite easy. Biggest issue is to find a 3 inch spindle socket but I think some folks on here say they've used large channel locks. You will also need a ball peen hammer, then socket handle to fit the spindle socket, flat tip screwdriver, small crowbar, large punch, or similar tool.

You will need to jack the wheel up, remove the tire and rim, inspect the lug holes in the rim. If they are out of round, replace the wheel with your spare.

Place down a clean blanket or towel to place all parts on it.
Take of the axle cap (the kind pointy thing that has about 9 each 3/4 inch bolts around it).
Bend out the keeper tab off of the nut using either a screwdriver or small crowbar.
Remove the big 3" nut.
Remove the keepers and all other pieces. Try to keep everything in order so you can slap it back on quicker.
Remove Wheel drum.
Using a large punch and ball peen, hammer the old studs out. I would remove all of them cause even if they may not show obvious damage, They are probably bad no matter what they look like.
I used 2x4 to hold up the drum while I pounded the new ones in.

Reverse the assemblage. Might as well grease the bearings.
Don't crank down hard on the big nut. It is to be snug but in no way should it drag the wheel.
Bend back over the keeper tab.
Finish the assemblage and ensure your lug nuts are singing to you before you stop cranking on them. Drive a few miles and retighten the lugs. I actually cranked down on my lugs after driving it for about 10 trips.

Good luck. You can do this.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also want to check the brake pad clearances before you re-mount the wheel. Just finished doing all the bearings/seals/wheel cylinders and found that almost invariably the pad-to-drum clearances were off after re-assembly. Pretty easy...need a 1 1/8 box end and 1/2, 9/16 and 11/16 open-end wrenches...and feeler gauges.

bs

Last edited:

212sparky

I replaced my studs today and it was not as bad as i thought it would be. it took 3 hours to complete the job. I did not have an impact gun with me but i used a 1 1/2" wrench and a 2" together to torque to new nuts down. thank you for the help!! here are some pics of the truck and before and after, i did paint stripe my new nuts and studs so i can see if any thing moves in the future.

Attachments

ODdave

This exact thing happened to me in April and then again about a month later. It comes from lug nuts working loose or not being tight enough when a tire was changed. You will need to verify the bolt holes on your tire rim are not out of round. Mine were and hence I had to do a repeat performance a month later.

not debating but can you explain to me how 3 of them broke from them being loose? i could see if all where loose but i am confused. I have seen studs break from being too tight. Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I tend to agree, OVER TIGHTING will cause the stud to break, then the rim will flex, putting load on the adjoining studs, breaking them, repeated tire changes will over stretch the stud

when I worked for Stallion Oilfield Services, every time that a truck or trailer that came in for a brake job, the studs were also REPLACED

Jake0147

not debating but can you explain to me how 3 of them broke from them being loose? i could see if all where loose but i am confused. I have seen studs break from being too tight. Thanks.

Typically how that works out is that they were ALL loose enough to let the wheel shift beneath the lugs to some degree. The "tighter than the others but not tight enough" bolts bear more of the burden on too few points, they bend, move, fatigue, and break in short order. When you drop a couple or three of the "tighrer but not tight enough" bolts, you're left with the remaining "looser than the rest but not actually fallen off yet" bolts. As the process goes along, vibrations and shifting get worse, and the problem is (hopefully) noticed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks