• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C

carter262

I hope I did not just get in over my head, I just bought the Nostalgic A/C Parts CUCV A/C kit.

[h=1]C / K Series Military M-1008 M-1009 Truck / Blazer A/C System[/h]Part #CK-8386M

Now I have to figure out where everthing is going to go. Stereo, A/C controls, Any additional vents.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!!

BennieAndTheBl4Z3R

I hope I did not just get in over my head, I just bought the Nostalgic A/C Parts CUCV A/C kit.

[h=1]C / K Series Military M-1008 M-1009 Truck / Blazer A/C System[/h]Part #CK-8386M

Now I have to figure out where everthing is going to go. Stereo, A/C controls, Any additional vents.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!!
That's the same kit I'm looking at for mine. Please post plenty pictures and any bumps you fun into. Good luck partna! Hoping to learn from your hard times! 👍

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

Read the instructions all the way through before you touch anything. (Great bathroom entertainment) When fully understood, FOLLOW them exactly. It's not an easy job but it isn't rebuilding an engine either. Best of luck and BE COOOOOOL ! hahahahahaha

Barrman

A spot weld drill bit will be a huge help getting the radio mount rack on the dash off. A hole saw set will come in handy for the holes in the valence and firewall. 5 total I seem to remember.

Be very, very, very careful with the vent plate that goes on the dash pad. Mine broke in several places.

The good is that mine gets to 40° at the vent no matter the outside temp within a few minutes of turning it on.

Barrman

Taking a factory hvac system from a civilian truck and putting it on a CUCV can be done. However, the firewall will have to be cut, wiring bus bars moved and maybe move the rear battery tray. Then you have to mount the compressor. Cost and work wise it could add up to more than one of the kits mentioned a few post up.

If you add a GM turbo, the factory evaporator lives in the same location as the turbo. The Banks turbo will clear the factory have though.

Last edited:

carter262

So I have not update yet.

Received everything pretty quickly. First impressions, everything looks pretty good. I really don't have any comparisons though since this is the first time that I am trying anything like this. I will say this though. I have called the company a few times and they have been very nice, polite, and helpful.

A few things that I didn't like right off the bat. This kit was supposed to be designed for our CUCVs but:
1. They want you to place the controls and a vent where the voltage gauge goes.
2. They want you to put a vent where the service lights and blackout light switches are.
1 & 2 I am not going to change the layout of my dash. I bought a CUCV because that is what I wanted. If I wanted a civilian one I would of bought one. But I do believe that I have that figured out. I will post pictures as the install goes.
3. Having to cut a section of the dash out for evaporator to fit.
3. Seems they could of designed the evaporator to fit with out having to cut the dash.
4. I have read both directions, CUCV and civilian K5, and they are identical.
4. I know that they are pretty close to identical but there are some differences, so I figured that the instructions would be at least slightly different.
5. The instructions could be a little clearer, better, and have more pictures.
5. O' well it is what it is.

So at this point I have read and reread the directions. I feel that there are a few things in the directions that I will have to figure out when I am arms deep in it. I am going to try and work on the dash tonight.

I still have to pick up some insulation for the fire wall. Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

I will keep this updated with pictures and thoughts.

CW3 Tucker

Can you share a picture of the compressor mounting hardware and bracket please? So the controls don't mount in the factory location? The LMC kit has a complete replacement controller in their kit but I don't think they have the mount for the compressor included... and LMC is about 300 bucks more. I cant make up my mind.

carter262

Can you share a picture of the compressor mounting hardware and bracket please? So the controls don't mount in the factory location? The LMC kit has a complete replacement controller in their kit but I don't think they have the mount for the compressor included... and LMC is about 300 bucks more. I cant make up my mind.
I am not familiar with the LMC kit. I can tell you this is a stand alone kit. It does not hook into the heat duct work or heart controls. It has its own ducts in the dash and own controls.

Here are pictures of the kit before installed. The kit comes from Component Parts, Inc., 3100 Chesser Boyer Road Fort Worth, Texas 76111 1-800-211-0284. The Kit number is 5255. Not sure of the price if you buy it directly from them.
IMG_20170711_100133.jpgIMG_20170711_100139.jpgIMG_20170711_100213.jpg

I am going to have a friend of mine install the pulley and compressor bracket for me. I really just don't want to mess with the pulley. I will try to be there and take pictures as it is done.

Last edited:

carter262

Okay, here is a few updates.

Here is what has been done so far. I have the evaporator, fan, condenser, and dryer installed. Don't worry I took notes and pictures and when I have time I will be doing how to's with pictures and my opinions. Also while I have the dash apart I have been adding a little sound abatement to the fire wall and dash.

Some of my opinions so far, for those who care, lol.

The kit is not made specifically for our trucks. I have read and now believe that the kits is existing parts put together to make a kit for our trucks. They give you the parts they think you can use to complete the install. The problem is you may, in my case I do, need a few different parts to install it the way you want to.
Examples:
Condenser (radiator looking part) Brackets. They give flat brackets, you have to bend them yourself to place the condenser where you want it.
Hose ends. If I remember correctly you get 2 - straight ends and 2 - 90 ends for each hose size. no instructions here. You have to figure out how you want to run the hoses and go from there. I am going to have to get at least 1 or 2 different end to work mine out the way I want to.
Blower Fan. The brackets on my fan were in the totally wrong locations. I had to remove the rivets holding them on move the brackets and re-rivet them to the housing. Also the fan is all plastic, housing and impellers. Not a big fan of that but they don't make 'em how they use to.

So if you want this kit be prepared to think this through and do some fabricating when you install it.

I am not really knocking the kit. Just giving my honest observations. I will say this about Nastalgic AC, every time I have called them they have been very nice, courteous, and helpful.

Hopefully in the next few days I can start the tutorial.

CW3 Tucker

I am not familiar with the LMC kit. I can tell you this is a stand alone kit. It does not hook into the heat duct work or heart controls. It has its own ducts in the dash and own controls.

Here are pictures of the kit before installed. The kit comes from Component Parts, Inc., 3100 Chesser Boyer Road Fort Worth, Texas 76111 1-800-211-0284. The Kit number is 5255. Not sure of the price if you buy it directly from them.
View attachment 689324View attachment 689325View attachment 689326

I am going to have a friend of mine install the pulley and compressor bracket for me. I really just don't want to mess with the pulley. I will try to be there and take pictures as it is done.
FYI that kit is $242.08 plus shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks