• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of electrical questions (taking power off the starter).

M1165A1

I can't seem to find much in the archives to help me on these two question.

I am going to be running some high amperage cables from the starter to the front bumper for a Sherpa electric winch installation.

First question, the winch connections are currently covered by a layer of that USMC-approved waterproofing gunk. I'm going to need to clean it off to make my connections, but I'd like to put new sealant on the connections once done. I off road a fair bit in the vehicle and don't want a short if I go through a creek etc. What's a good product to "regunk" the wire connections? I don't think normal dielectric grease will be durable enough.

Second, I am routing the wiring to the front bumper area. It's a little difficult to find an easy path to do so but I think I have a way now. However it looks like the wires will be vulnerable to damage/chafe. So I want to add protective wire loom. The old style corrugated plastic is not the best but I found this on Amazon: would that be suitable?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't seem to find much in the archives to help me on these two question.

I am going to be running some high amperage cables from the starter to the front bumper for a Sherpa electric winch installation.

First question, the winch connections are currently covered by a layer of that USMC-approved waterproofing gunk. I'm going to need to clean it off to make my connections, but I'd like to put new sealant on the connections once done. I off road a fair bit in the vehicle and don't want a short if I go through a creek etc. What's a good product to "regunk" the wire connections? I don't think normal dielectric grease will be durable enough.

Second, I am routing the wiring to the front bumper area. It's a little difficult to find an easy path to do so but I think I have a way now. However it looks like the wires will be vulnerable to damage/chafe. So I want to add protective wire loom. The old style corrugated plastic is not the best but I found this on Amazon: would that be suitable?

It is possible to have a circuit breaker that would protect the winch wiring from chafing.
I would still use protective loom too!

Circuit Breaker.jpeg

The sample above is power directly powered from the starter.
Juice supplied is to drive a 4000 watt Inverter... (just fyi)

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use asphalt loom, I get it off of fleabay, I would also take the positive off of the bulkhead terminal on the battery box, more work but less stress on the solenoid.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are not the products the military uses, so no HUMVEE tax from the vendors, but is what I used when I installed a 24V Serpa. Great winch BTW!

For the protective coating, search for "NOCO NCP2 CB104 4 Oz Oil-Based Brush-On Battery Corrosion Preventative, Corrosion Inhibitor, and Battery Terminal Protector Grease"

For a good wire loom, search for: "Wire Loom Split Tubing Auto Wire Conduit Flexible Cover | High Temperature Heat Resistant -40F to 257F | Plastic Cover for Electrical" They come in varying widths and lengths. I put them in seperate covers mostly because the cables are so thick I could not get the both in a single cover with what I had on hand.

I went to the battery, instead of the starter and mounted an resetable 24V breaker. I went along the frame rail right up to the front.

Last edited:

87cr250r

Tef-Gel is popular for corrosion protection in the marine industry. It's basically a grease so it won't dry or harden. You may not agree with the price tag.

Dow Corning 734 is another commonly used option. It's an RTV silicone but it's flowable so you can pour it or paint it onto a surface and it will settle and smooth itself out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks