• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of M35a2 design and history questions

oddshot

I've done a bit of searching, both here and on the web, but I can't seem to find any answers to these.

1. Does anybody have any idea if the removable steel hard top was part of the original design workup or was it an after-thought add on? If the top came after the first Deuce's were built ... does anybody have any idea when the hard top was introduced?

2. I know that the height of the Deuce with the top removed, windshield folded, the exhaust pipe removed and the cargo cover bows and rails removed is about 81 inches. I've heard it said that all these design features were to allow to Deuce to be loaded ... on something. Does anybody know what transport required this 81 inch height limitation?

2A. I've been looking all over the 'net to find photos of the Deuce shortened up, loaded in and tied down as cargo (not on a flat bed) and haven't found anything. I have come across a couple of pictures of USMC M35a2's rolling up the ramp of ships but they have all their part assembled.

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. I don't know for sure but I suspect the hard top was part of the original design criteria-I've seen plenty of pictures of very early gassers that have hard tops. I know any truck with an arctic kit has a hardtop and the arctic kit was something they'd already conceived of by the mid-fifties, so it stands to reason hard tops were part of the original plan.

2. I suspect one of the TM's has an image like this:

m35A2_dimensionsSP.jpg

2A. I have a decent G742 image collection and don't have any in that format. Closest I have is this, but it requires the user's imagination to flop down the windshield.

DSC_0285.jpg

Barrman

All 3 of my 1952 or 1953 Gasser M35 cab rear walls have the holes for the factory small window hard top. They were all made by REO still then. My ORD 9-???? (I can't remember the manual number) Which was published in 1950 has hard top pictures and such. It even has the rear step bed pictured and I don't think any of those were ever produced. So yes, I would say the hard top was part of the original design.

oddshot

C-123, C124 and C-130 all transported vehicles for the army starting in 49'.

They all had a an interior head height of less than 9'.
Thanks ... That's the bit of "why" information I was looking for.

I'm still looking for a picture or two of M35's in one of the a/c you've mentioned ...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen a couple of the early beds with the step tailgates and were usually too jacked up to save. boop.jpg

fasttruck

Height reduction would also be an issue or factor when loading equipment into the hold of a ship as loose freight when the tier is going to be decked to support additional cargo above. Better use of cubige.

Another Ahab

Thanks ... That's the bit of "why" information I was looking for.

I'm still looking for a picture or two of M35's in one of the a/c you've mentioned ...
Closest I can get:

- Looks like a Deuce loading into a C-130, but then only seems to be a single rear axle

- Looks bigger than an M-715, but picture resolution not so hot

So I'm not sure. Anybody ID it?

deuce.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After searching the web for a solid 20 minutes, this is the best I can do:

cargo747-bobl-nose-ramp-8-638.jpgcargo747-bobl-nose-ramp-9-638.jpg

oddshot

So I'm not sure. Anybody ID it?

View attachment 539725
That's a Deuce alright ... no doubt.

If you make the picture bigger, you can make out the spare tire, pioneer rack ... AND the rear-most left wheel and tire.

You have to look right in the middle of the group of G.I.'s ( I guess that would be "soldier G", counting the driver as "A") and its right there. Please note ... the top is up!

Also, Clinto nailed it GOOD! Topless AND on a pallet.

Gentlemen, I think we might have collected and preserved some M35a2 history here.

Thank you both very much!

Last edited:

Another Ahab

You're Sure Now

My question is what would cause a perfectly maintained, air over hydraulics Tacoma system to suddenly fail without warning. Foul play? I'm in good with the wife... Hmmm. I'm looking for any advise on what I can check, the most common reasons for a total and catastrophic failure. Thank you in advance as this is my first military vehicle.
Right!?

deadly terms.jpg

Last edited:

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All 3 of my 1952 or 1953 Gasser M35 cab rear walls have the holes for the factory small window hard top. They were all made by REO still then. My ORD 9-???? (I can't remember the manual number) Which was published in 1950 has hard top pictures and such. It even has the rear step bed pictured and I don't think any of those were ever produced. So yes, I would say the hard top was part of the original design.
Barrman, I know it’s an old thread but I know you’re still active. What can you tell me about the early hard tops? I have a 53 M35 REO gasser with a 1968 manufactured hard top that has the sliding rear window. I also have a 78 M35A2C with a hardtop that has the smaller solid rear window. I haven’t heard anything specific but do you know when the change happened? My plan is to swap the tops between the 2 since I think the 53 would have used the solid window version. That would make it more period correct.

DutchmanZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know when the hard tops changed window sizes. The 1964 TM if I remember correctly has the small windows shown. But the ones from near the end of production show the sliders. I Just don’t know. Sorry.
No worries! It’s more work but I think I’ll still switch them based on what I’ve seen. Thank you for the info. Plus, I plan to drive the A2 more so the bigger window would be nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks