• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A couple of questions

Pawnshop

RE: Re: A couple of questions

The paint on mine definately shows that there was something bolted on there during a repaint, but I don't recall ever seeing a photo of a deuce with anything there, now I am curious.....

Jake0147

roger-wilco-66 said:
To my understanding there were three mirror styles on the deuce.
The oldest mirror is a small round one on one strut as mentioned and pictured before.

That was my understanding too, nearly all of the posts in this forum reflect that. Then there's this post which would indicate a fourth style. My guess is it was a short time, as most of the posts here only refer to three styles.

I've probably just missed them, but I've never seen that with the struts under this type of mirror. I like it. Do you have any pics of the upper/lower attachment detail? Or if that's not convenient, would you dare to take a guess at the diameter of that rod?

emmado22 said:
The dropside trucks have a taller tailgate.. Dunno why, but they just all do...
I wish they didn't, but I know they do. Given a choice, I certainly wouldn't give up the convenience of a dropside over this fit of sillyness I'm having.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake, if you take into account the 2 different west coast mirrors, that makes 5 different mirror sets. In the thread you posted, clearly shows the 2 arm telescopic mirrors that use the holes in the left cowl of the cab and the 2 holes in the machine leg mount on the passenger side. I've owned trucks with each and every type I listed.

Jake0147

Indeed it would be five.

I ruled out that out because the arms are too far apart for my holes in question, but now that you say it I can definately see it when I look again.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jake0147 said:
.... Do you have any pics of the upper/lower attachment detail? Or if that's not convenient, would you dare to take a guess at the diameter of that rod?
Here some pics of the two different old style mirror brackets that mount to those two treaded holes. Which rod is it you want to know the diameter?

G.

Attachments

Jake0147

gringeltaube said:
Which rod is it you want to know the diameter?
G.
In roger-wilco-66's post, the diagonal strut that apparently goes to the lower door hinge and supports his mirror from vibration. I kind of like the looks, and while it's usualy not an issue, in particular instances the vibration in the mirror has been an issue for me. I'm thinking I'm going to make something up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1971 origionally had the type like roger-wilko showed but without the angled brace. As for the older passenger side mounting, my M48 does not have the gun mount tube or the bolt holes to ever put it there so it origionally only had the 1 dinky little mirror. :shock: