• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a couple questions about the deuce

BugEyeBear

Q: Has anyone converted their Deuce to a dual circuit brake system?
What would it take?

Yes, while a single circuit brake system can be perfectly safe (especially when they are as well maintained as they are by SS members), it is hard to discount the added insurance afforded by having a dual circuit system.

Seems to me this would be a VERY POPULAR upgrade if it was made available!

Just a thought...
-Bear-

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sasquatchsanta,
Just to ease your mind, I am not in the least bit upset about what you posted. Some people might be, but I understand where you are coming from. I used the analogy about the minivan just for effect. It probably was a little over the top, but I wanted to make sure the original poster knew full well that if he doesn't take these vehicles seriously, the results can be disastrous. I probably should have added some more information about proper maintenance being performed, but, as they say; hind sight and all...

I know this will put me on the wrong side of many many people, just as you feared your post would. But I would like some more information , and facts to support that information, about the people who are out to end this hobby. NOT TO SAY THAT THEY ARE NOT OUT THERE, I'm sure they are, just like there are people out there who would love to take my guns away. I know I'm new to the hobby, but I just have a hard time visualizing a group of people out there monitoring our web forum looking for ammunition to use against the MV collectors. Please don't take this to mean that I think the hobby is not looked down upon by some people. I think a new thread would be in order to bring to light the pending and proposed legislation that is being used against us so we may be prepared to fight it. I'm afraid that it would get clouded with a bunch of innuendo and rumors rather than facts though.

Let the speddmon bashing begin......

panzerjunky

Sppemon bashing

Hey No bashing here
I also am a gun collector /shooter / hunter /sprotsman and yes this is getting away from the thread a bit but on gun forums we are careful about what we say. But I have been a shooter for over 30 years and have only been into MV a year or so and I have to say I was 100% unaware that there were actually GROOPS out there looking to ban or stop this hobby I spend so much time worrying about all the gun bans ( I live in California) I never thought I would have to worry about my trucks also. I know some people feel these should not be on the streets I got a letter in the mail last week to prove it but again I was totaly an aware of an organized front to ban our stuff I agree Like the NRA we need to be informed where can we find said information can we have a legal forum like the NRA has?
Thanks Jerry:evil:

SasquatchSanta

First of all Speddmon thank you for giving me a pass on a clumsy attempt to broach a delicate subject. I rewrote the post so many times I almost gave up and erased it.

Second, I don't know of any person, persons or group that are out to stop the government from selling MVs to civilians. Some of my sensitivity comes from a stunt a bureaucrat in the Wisconson DMV pulled a few months ago when they declared they were not going to issue titles on MVs and even threatened to cancell titles. It was fairly quickly resolved but while it was happening it caused a lot of Wisconson collectors appreciable emotional heart burn.

I can't imagine there ever being an outright ban because there is no precidence AND it would stir up a huge hornets nest. Having said that I think (IMHO) opinion that we need to take a party line approach on safety concerns that is above reproach. You can define that however you see fit. (Perception is sometimes everything and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure).

Insurance isn't easy to get on the bigger MVs and that is also concerning. "If" we were to lose a few good insurance carriers because of an string of accidents or one bad accident that somehow got a lot of press that would also be bad. Without insurance we're out of business. Having said this, I'm reminded of a TV commercial that ran a few years where a little girs says "What if my brother makes me eat of bug?" In other words --- we can't worry about everything.

I guess what I'm suggesting, once again clumsily, is that we somehow hold safety concerns as a high priority "party line" when they come up in our posts and threads. Just like a gun site would never approach gun safety in a cavalier manner neither should we when possible MV procedural, maintenance and other safety issues are brought up. I don't really have the answers --- just concerns.

Having said all this, and having probably bored the hell out of most of the members I'm going to waddle on out of here and give this thread back to the rightful owner.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The deuce is always easily fixable and is in that way reliable. Some parts may deteriorate over time, particularly the steel fuel tank, which causes problems for the IP and related items. I have had my deuce since 1995 and it has really never let me down...wouldn't have driven it cross country and back if I didn't feel that it was reliable. :)
As for a DD, it's not practical IMHO.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Some may want to consider secondary road weight limits. You may be at risk for a ticket if you don't have a good reason to be in some neighborhoods/areas. Enforcement seems to vary a lot. In may be worst here in the N.East near suburbs of larger cites.

NY State VT Law allows for 'local delivery' but the Solvay police still ticketed one of our commercial big rigs for being on Charles Ave, posted 5 ton, except local delivery. The driver provided 2 delivery freight bills with addresses on said street, and still got the ticket. The company never fixed them so the DMV sent driver a letter saying his license was being revoked. He was sweating being out of work, the company the problem of keeping his run intact... NY sucks, huh?.

p.s. Charles Ave. is 1/2 mile long

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Don't stir up the natives

Some may want to consider secondary road weight limits. You may be at risk for a ticket if you don't have a good reason to be in some neighborhoods/areas. Enforcement seems to vary a lot. In may be worst here in the N.East near suburbs of larger cites. ...
I am concerned about this, too. In CO most neighborhoods have a posted limit of 7000 empty; my M109 is over 11K empty.

In keeping with Speddmon said, I don’t intend to antagonize the neighbors because I don’t want to start something that will always be bigger than just a single incident.

Last edited:

roscoe

I use mine for work and so far, I don't see it being any more expensive to maintian than any other truck I have of similar size. And no plastic stuff falling off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks