• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A demanding mistress! Next issue......

Buckeye2000

The old girl is keeping me on my toes! No complaints though, I've never had so much fun laying in the snow busting knuckles :-D The fuel situation that I posted about a few days ago seems fine now and she's running great. It's been near 40 here today and yesterday so that's a big help.

Next issue......took her out last Saturday to help a friend get some firewood. It was about 10 degrees so when I stopped for fuel I added some gas - some suggested that even a 50/50 mix would do well in the cold. Anyway, she was running fine but I started noticing a fair amount of white smoke. I've heard and read that gas in a multi can cause some white smoke, so I wasn't too worried.

Then when we got there I left the truck running while we started the bobcat, stacked wood, etc. Long story short, I forgot to go back and shut it down, so the truck idled for about 30 minutes total before we came back to leave. Of course, by that time I had oil coming out of the exhaust pipe. I was pretty worried about that (not having read up on the slobber issue yet), so we loaded the wood and brought it straight back to my place in case she was really sick. The truck ran fine but was putting out a TON of white smoke, to the point where we had windows open just to clear the cab and see out.

My initial thought was a head gasket or turbo seals. After reading up on the slobber issue, I think the oil from the pipe was caused by operator error and excessive idling. If it's also true that gas in a multi can cause white fuel smoke, then the two together would make a lot of smoke. It smelled like oil, which I assume was from cooking off in the pipe and whatever else it leaked on.

Any thoughts? Also when poking around I noticed that there is an opening on the bottom of the turbo, about an inch long, that looks like it should/did have a hose or return line on it? If so, where would that go?

Sorry for the long post. And yes, I forgot to bring the camera to get pics of her working. The wood is still in the bed if anyone wants me to get a pic of the load she brought home.

rockman

No need to add gas at those temps. When living in Pittburgh, I just always bought fresh diesel. You can add a conditioner also which helps preventing gelling. Slobbering is normal and you can reduce the initial cloud and spray by covering the exhaust pipe with a can or cut off 2 liter pop bottle. Maybe your engine has had the blowby line come off. There should a blowby hose hanging down near the front pumpkin.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks