• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Different Kind of M109 Conversion

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ian,
The inside and outside skin were made from some air conditioning sheet metal I got from Lowe's, 24 x 30 pieces. I made a template out of cardboard for the opening on the A/C unit, cut it out, did a test fit, then drilled and tapped for the screws on the outside (the Army had taken out the front window and replaced it with a larger and higher opening of about 27" wide and 18" high with 3/16 angle iron forming the edges on the outside. I have a picture of the frame the A/C sits in in post #16 and #42. Post 47 shows the completed inside with the sheetmetal in place. Neil Hendrix and i discussed building something to go over the outside of the A/C unit to keep the coils from being damaged in transit - I have not built mine yet, so no pics to post.

wikallen

I used the same Marinco plug and put it in the same place. Only, I took the cover off the truck and drilled and tapped new holes. This way, if I ever want to move the plug lower, I can just reinstall the cover plate and gasket that I took off.

Also, on the SS marinco plug, that cover is supposed to support itself in the up position. I had to RMA my first one, as it would do what yours is in the picture, and flop down again. It is a PITA when trying to plug it in one handed when that happens. Its nice now that I have one that stays up like it is supposed to.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's just wire shelving, cut (notched) so it will fit down through the stainless wire shelves. Cut them so the lip comes out at the top and limits how far they drop down. Top one closest to the door actually fits over the end posts, since there is not another shelf above it.

I'm also working on a raised grating in the bottom of both cooler units and a half shelf for the back of each one to give us some more room for smaller items to be kept refrigerated. I'll post pictures of that when I install them.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there is a pic of the front in the GA Rally 2010 picture thread. also check the pictures in post #42 of this thread. It is before the installation was complete, but does show the relative position of the unit and the top of the cab. Cab is visible at the very bottom right of the second picture.

The AC is only run on shore power, and blows it's hot air straight out. There is about nine inches of room between the bottom of the AC and the top of the cab roof. So, no effect on the cab.

The AC is a 6500 btu/hr Frigidare unit I got at Lowes. I have another for my other M109.

Dave08

Very nice! I have been following the "Camper" threads concerning the M109A3 boxes. However, I am contemplating a different camper approach. I purchased a M720 dolly set that I am going to afix to one of the boxes and make a towed camper out of it. Any thoughts on that idea? The M720 Dolly carries 6000 pounds easily enough. I do not know when I will start on the build but I am putting the plans together for it now and getting new ideas every day.
Dave08

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks