• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A feeble woman writes...

nopas

Hi, I am a complete imposter since I don't have an MV - and am unlikely ever to do so. However I am in total desperation for help about my lorry (sorry, truck) and Arthur Bloom of MS35 Products thought maybe someone, somewhere would know something. I have a twenty seven year old 7.5 tonne (yes, you guys could pick her up and put her under your arm) Bedford TL horsebox. Unlike any other horsebox in the world seemingly, instead of hydraulic power steering, she was retrospectively fitted with something that says on the steering wheel boss "Autostee". It is pneumatically powered. It worked fine for two of the three years we've owned her, but for the past year, the pas has failed. At first working sporadically and latterly for the past nine months, not at all.

I can drive her with no power steering and indeed drove her over three hundred miles recently, including roundabouts, but it is killing me. I am am a wizened old crone and really need that pas. The system seems to echo Air-o-matic in essentials, being powered by the main air system (brakes work fine, incidentally) powering ram and drag link. It is differently configured I think. There is an auxiliary air cylinder located behind the front bumper (um is it called that in the US?) from which air lines seem to run to the main system and to the ram operating the power steering. It also has a smaller unit bolted to the underneath which has what appear to be electric cables running from it. I'm sorry this is so hopeless vague but I am desperately trying to work out what the problem could be so any thoughts would be v much appreciated. There appears, according to the Schrider valve on the auxiliary air cylinder to be air in the system. Could it be a fault in the ram? What would happen if I dismantled the whole kit and caboodle? Would it endanger the braking system, given that the power steering system is doing nothing anyway? Somehow I have to get power steering back. Putting hydraulic system in is prohibitively expensive seemingly.

My husband is of course, not quite so frantic about the whole thing, given that steering at low speeds is not the horrendous experience it is for me. It's not that I can't do it but I nearly die doing it. If I ever win the lottery, I promise to go out and buy and tank - or at least an armoured personnel carrier...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Any chance you could get pics for us? Its one thing to think it is an air assist system, it is another to KNOW it.

Welcome to the site.

zout

Welcome to the site I think I spent time in a Kent police station once while there !!

absolutely - assist diagnosing in helping with pictures

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to Green Iron Bedlam:cookoo:

There are several members on your side of the pond that would assist if you can contact them.

This is what we do.....we can't help ourselves.

Pics are always helpful.

We don't buy the old crone routine.....I bet you are super model material.:mrgreen:

Again...welcome to the madness.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's an air system, is there a drain for built up water in the system? You could have a hydraulic lock. Pictures will be most helpful in determining the correct course of action.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome

I tried to look for both the Bedford TL and it's famous predecesor TK but found little info on power steering apart from the fact that certainly the TL had it. Haynes also does not have the Bedford mentioned, unfortunately.

Maybe try this link for a manual, or call them and ask if they have more information om what should be originally there (maybe what you have is originally).

You are - probably - not alone though, reading a similar request from 2009:

I have a 1984 Bedford TL horsebox. The Power steering suddenly gave up completely. Thinking it would be something to do with the fluid (and being rather dense since when you turn the steering wheel normally, you can hear air puffing) I soon realised that it was an air system. This is, as I'm sure everyone but me knows, an after market bodge up. It should have a hydraulic system. anyway, we are find it v difficult to find the fault, presumably a joint, or pipe (or which there appear to be many, all coming to the steering column in the cab and helpfully scribbled with Tippex) the Steering colum says Autosteer, which also no one knows about. Anybody at all got any thoughts? Somebody said drain the air system of condensation first, in case the brake system is saving itself by cutting off the steering system. Does this sound likely?

Anybody know what make of lorry it might have come off? I can find know reference to any air steering systems except some american military thingy. Any thoughts v much appreciated.
:-(:-( To thrash any hopes immidiately, that thread did not get any reponses. Maybe you can contact them or put a similar post in that forum as well.

Last edited:

dozer1

Hi Maam,
Thanks for stopping by and discribing your trucks problem to the SS community. There is alot of good mechanics around here and someone might be able to help you out. Its going to be hard though, not being able to inspect and test different components. I would not "dismantle the whole kit and caboodle":D There is probably just 1 bad component and even it might just need to be disasembled and cleaned. (such as an air valve) Perhaps a pinched air line. You had mentioned a component that has electrical wires. Some type of solenoid controlled valve? If we have no luck here, I hope there is a mechanic around Kent that can have a look for you and figure it out. Best of luck.

poppop

Welcome to SS!!

I am purely guessing with what I am going to say as I have no experience with ait assisted steering. But there has to be a valve that is activated by steering wheel motion to send air the ram. I would assume you could take the air lines loose at the ram and turn the steering wheel and should hear air at one line in one direction and the other line in the other direction. If not then the valve could be the problem. On hydralic cylinders if the piston seals go bad pressure will by pass the piston and not move it. This should be the same with an air ram. Take both lines loose from the ram and apply air pressure from an air compresser to one fitting on the ram. If air comes out the other fitting then the piston seals are bad. They are not hard to rebuild and if you have a hydralic shop nearby they can supply the parts. I hope this gives you some help.

nopas

Oh you guys are lovely! To start with oh yes, it's air powered alright . I used to do a lot of work on cars before I got fed up with chipping my nail varnish, so I know a hydraulic system when I see it - and it's not that one. Every other TL has standard hydraulic power steering The system dumps air when you turn the wheel (well, it did) so even if I were a complete numtie I think I'd guess there was air involved. Actually, thinking about it, I am a complete numtie but hey, never mind. I will take photos and attempt to upload them to this site (hope you're not holding your collective breaths for that one). It is totally par for the course that I'd be the one to end up with the most obscure system known to man. This lorry has a fantastic provenance having been back up vehicle for its previous owner's charity ride from Canterbury to Santiago de Compostela in Spain and a few years later, from Canterbury to St Peter's Rome. She's thus been over the Pyrenees and back and the Alps as well. She is in one book and about to be in another. I can't bear to let her go but my weedy old arms (6ft - me, not the arms - but only 133 lbs) can't manage any more.

I will print off your replies and take a really good look underneath tonight and take the aforementioned photos.

Actually, I wouldn't want to go over a mountain in her, I've had old men on zimmer frames passing me at speed uphill!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks