• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few detail questions on new deuce

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The long purchase and delivery plan is complete. I bought this truck in March of this year from Ft. Meade. Fellow SS members stored it and assisted with some needed parts. Thanks again to you guys for stepping up and making things happen!

I drove it from MD. down to Port Everglades in October, only to find out the VIN on the SF97 did not match the truck. After a months delay, the corrected documents arrived and it shipped out to Costa Rica early this month. I live on the Pacific Coast, and the port is on the gulf, so I drove it cross country to home last week.

In general the truck I bought sight unseen is a winner. I selected a drivable dropside truck with hardtop and winch. There are cover patches on the cab, with some rusty panels and structures under the fender. The mechanical condition is very good. I am beginning to work through the details and have posted some pics for reference for seeking your assistance in information.

First picture is the truck in Port of Limon. It was not a photographic day or moment: It was the end of the day, the port was closing, plus a rain squall was coming in off the gulf as we were preparing to leave. (truck has no working wipers!)

Second picture is of the end of a 4x4x16" piece of wood that was stored in the tool cubby under the driver door. The end is cut with a Vee grove that appears intentional. Any idea what this is designed for?

Third picture is a tool also found in the cubby. It is apparently for removing the special nuts holding the inner dual wheels. I took the tool apart and cleaned and oiled the friction plates. I am missing some external parts apparently, like a compression spring, bolt and removable handle. What is this tool and what TM covers the operation?

Forth picture shows a subtle, but annoying misfit: The driver side motor panel is tapered, slimming down 1" at the front. It's 81/2" at the rear and 71/2" at the front. Before I source another panel, iam I correct to assume that the panel should match the other side which is not tapered?

Thanks to all and when the weather turns sunny, I'll get you guys some pictures of the truck in our exotic locale.

Rick

Attachments

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott, as per your reply I tried searching "RL-39" and "reeling unit" without success. Any chance you can direct me towards the correct TM and chapter covering this tool?

Rick

Scarecrow1

If I'm seeing it right the timber is used as a lever to aid in winching opperations . It is noched so that the winch cable will lay in the V and can aid in lifting objects up and over as a fulcrum instead of trying to plow through them. On the engine panel I've seen a lot of these and it seems to be a stock item on some of the Deuce,s ... The other pic I'm not sure of .....sorry ....Good luck on your restoration sounds like you have a good one to play with..

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RL-39 unit would have a 1/4 inch square drive. If it's 3/4 to 1 inch, more likely for the RL-31 reeling unit. RL-39 is a chest mounted device for spooling out 1/4 mile of commo wire for the old field phones. RL-31 ("A" frame type) will hold two, one mile spools of the same wire and is either mounted on a jeep or set up on the ground. In any case, it's not a part of the deuce, just a freeby.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The friction brake is an interesting tool! Any ideas where there are pics of it set up and in use?

I'll take the explanation of the wood blocks used as fulcrums on faith: Putting cable pressure on end-grain sounds like a recipe for failure!

Does anyone have experience with the side panel?

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the wood block shows NO sign of ever being used with a cable, i think it was used to support a tubo or pipe, as something to run a spool of cable on, it might go with the rotation brake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks