• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Few General Questions

Ryan313

I am pretty new here, been lurking for a few weeks and enjoying the site! Great builds, great members, and great vehicles! I would like to buy an m35a2 and bob it.

I would like to put 395's on it, but don't want to buy custom wheels and adapter plates. I have read that the original wheels are ok if you don't air down the tires, when you do sand and dirt starts to get into the bead and pop the tube. Why not use modern tubeless budd wheels? They can be had cheap, come in different widths, and don't change the look much.

My other question is about towing, from what I have read I have heard mixed opinions on what you can tow deuces with. I have a 1999 F450 with a 7.3, would this be able to tow it? When I get my deuce (when, not if) I don't know what shape it will be in. I would like to be able to drive it home, but if I can't I want to know what options I have. After I get my deuce I want a tow bar to mount on the front bumper (saw a picture of one and really liked it) so I can tow it if my truck breaks, or my buddies breaks; my buddy is also very serious about getting a deuce. So the way I see it why not buy the tow bar early on and use it to tow it home?

My other question is (sorry I forgot to research this one before asking) is how much do the axles and rear springs sell for? I would think with so many people bobbing these they wouldn't be worth much?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are forgetting that modern tubeless rims are 22.5 and the 395 is 20. I pity the tire guy that attempts to mount a heavy sidewall 395 on a old 6 hole Budd 20" tubeless rim from a school bus or whatever.

Ryan313

Has anybody here used 11r24.5 tires on their deuce? I know it's a few in he smaller than the 395 tires but I think I would need go lift it with the 395s, a set of 11r24.5 would probably fit

Hainebd

Hemmt rims are the way to go. 395 are a good tire for a deuce. 395 on stock rim works ( on my rear since I need more adapter plates) but not the best setup. With hemmt rims on front you have no rub.

m109a2

Why fix something that is not broke. In my opinion 10 wheels are better than 6,Sure the 395 will look cooler are you not loseing 4 tires and all that surface area.And if you have a flat on the rear like I did you keep trucking till you hit a truck stop.