• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A few questions about my M-1038

24fan4life

Hello everyone,

I'm totally new to this whole experience of owning a HMMWV, but have always wanted one for quite a while now.

I started my search a couple months back, and finally pulled the trigger on a 1988 M-1038. It has 2,000+ miles on a 6.5, but it still has the original 3 speed transmission. I had it shipped from Memphis, TN.

On the way, in transport, the improperly installed soft top suffered a bit of damage. Luckily the stitching gave way before the material, and I was able to stitch the poly cord back into it to use until I order a new top. I was also sent 3 doors, that should have been scrapped, but I have a new set of doors on the way from Breton Industries. I also have the cargo top ready to install, but I'm waiting on the support bar that goes between to two bows.

It has a bad left front CV boot, which I'm having the half shaft replaced next week. I've replaced bad bulbs, and also replaced the headlights with Truck-Lite LED headlights. I also have a few odds n ends that are going to be installed in the next few weeks, including a few lights for the interior, exterior, backup light, fans for the cab, new high back seats, a 2" receiver, 24v to 12v trailer converter, license plate holders, brush guard, and an overhead console with a backup camera.

I've had it for about two weeks now. I have taken it to camp over Labor Day Weekend, about a 10 mile trip, and just the other day to a local garage, about a 15 mile trip. Both trips after about 4 or 5 miles, the drive train gets real noisy for about a minute, and then goes back to normal. On the longer trip, it did this a few times, and as before, it quiets down after about a minute. Is this normal, and exactly what is happening at this time?

When I got it, I also noticed there were two wires wrapped around the front bumper, near the winch control. There is also a rusted area on the front bumper, that looks like there was something attached there before. Maybe the wiring was for extra lighting, but I have not found any stock photos that show what might have been mounted in this rusted area. I'm going to attach a picture, and maybe someone can come up with what was there?

I can't wait to get all of the other items, get them installed, and start driving this beast around more. Just the two times I've had it out, I've turned quite a few heads, and got some awesome reactions.

Thank you for any responses, and I'll be back often to read more threads.

Attachments

Last edited:

diluted

Hello everyone,
I've had it for about two weeks now. I have taken it to camp over Labor Day Weekend, about a 10 mile trip, and just the other day to a local garage, about a 15 mile trip. Both trips after about 4 or 5 miles, the drive train gets real noisy for about a minute, and then goes back to normal. On the longer trip, it did this a few times, and as before, it quiets down after about a minute. Is this normal, and exactly what is happening at this time?

Most likely the fan kicking on

24fan4life

I've never had a vehicle with a fan that huge, so I never thought of that being the extra noise. The first time it kicked on, it startled me, and I thought something major happened.

I either need a new temp sender, or the guage is bad, because the needle never moves on it. I have the sender, and might try to track down where it goes today.

The garage I took it to said it shouldn't be more that a half hour job to do the half shaft. I watched a YouTube video, and I could probably do it myself. I just really don't have the time with all the hours I work, and with everything I have to do on my day and a half off on weekends. They're also going to be wiring in my reverse lights.

On a side note... I had a **** of a time getting the soft top on, especially the last tabs on the side rails just before the rear brace. Is there a trick to mounting the top, or is it just a multi person job?

Thank you for the replies.

tage

Do yourself a favor and read the tm's. That will anwser most of your questions.
Have you done any pmcs on the truck since you bought it? Check the fluids, check the lock nuts on the hubs.

For parts there's Kascar, and some others you can find with a simple Google search.

Gear Report

Congrats on the "new" truck!

Make sure you have done everything on this list:
https://gear-report.com/humvee-info-first-things-every-hmmwv-or-hummer-owner-needs-to-know

I don't see any mention of a supplementary grounding harness, checking spindle nut tabs (absolutely critical safety check), changing all fluids, reading the Operator's manual, spending time learning how to use the TMs or watching the HMMWV training videos. Those are all significantly higher priority tasks than installing the other "creature comfort" upgrades you listed.

papakb

I couldn't agree with Tage more regarding the Technical Manuals. 90% of what you need to know and help with troubleshooting are in them. They're all available free online through many sources by doing a simple search will get you to them. The TM 9 2320-280-10 is the basic drivers handbook and it wouldn't hurt to get a hard copy and just go through it. It explains things like the different configurations, capacities, road speeds and the stuff the driver needs to be aware of. As an FYI, the temp gauge sensor is the one behind the alternator, not the one on the water crossover manifold or on the right cylinder head. It's a common mistake. The gauges themselves are notoriously weak points and if it's not already installed you want to add the supplemental grounding harness. That'll cut down on the electrical issues these trucks suffer from.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Buying the truck, BIG BUCKS $$$... Get the TM's, CHEAP.

I don't know of any that had the "owners manual" in the glove box. Matter of fact... no glove box, so there you go. If you grew up with an Erector Set then your on your way to becoming Mr. Hmmwv Mechanic, with TM,s in hand. If Lego"s were your thing, buying the TM's will pay for themselves when taking it to a shop. Look around, probably not on the Monkey Garage's book shelf.

It's OK to say, I read the manual... But sounds better saying "TM's"

Have the TEE shirt Too!

CAM
DSCN1081.jpg

Now you know why there's no glove box. LOL

Last edited:

24fan4life

Thank you to all on all of the major points.

I have done fluid checks, and gone through the basics before I even drove it the first time. My ground seems to be intact at the moment, but I will soon be upgrading to the supplemental grounding harness, which looks easy enough to make myself. I have replaced all of the bulbs that were out, and the driver front half shaft has been replaced. The original half shaft was still in good condition, and I kept it to rebuild if I need it later. I also now have reverse lights, so I should have no problems passing NY State Inspection so I can get my title transferred.

Insurance was quite fun to obtain, with my current agent not being of much help. I ended up contacting State Farm, and now have full coverage for NY.

I have watched the videos that were linked to, and I'm glad that the front heavy portion was brought up, and braking was addressed rather well. I don't plan much on the off road aspect, but will be using it for winter driving on days that I see fit for using it. I totally understand that it's a behemoth, and takes a lot of finesse on turns, and stops.

I just got all of the OEM seat trays, backs, and pads installed, as the original owner apparently never had any passengers, or was just too lazy to search for parts. I've found quite a few places that handle NOS, or lightly used parts, including eBay.

The soft top needed a little more care than just re-installing the poly cord. It was stored incorrectly, and in quite few spots it was letting water pass through. I originally tried Camp Dry, but that only worked when it rained lightly. I ended up removing the Camp Dry, and went with clear Flex Seal, to see if it works for the time being.

The "no glove box" comment was hilarious, and I've been storing my important documents in the under-seat mounted ammo box located in the driver side rear seat box. I've bought/installed a cheap accessory/cup holder, until I can get a radio tray to repurpose. I will also be finding something a little easier to access for my important documents. I was either thinking of some cheap water tight container, or maybe a cheap lock box to mount in the center between the driver and passenger seats.

I finally got my doors, but have yet to assemble them. I've been enjoying the doors off experience, and keep the seats covered when I'm not driving it. I've heard they're somewhat water repellent, but I still keep them covered. The high back seats will be installed after I make sure everything is water tight as much as I can control.

I have been taking a few pictures as I've been going along, and will start posting them soon.

Thank you all for all of the comments, and I'll be back here n there to report on my efforts.

Last edited:

24fan4life

Since my last post; I have assembled and installed the supplemental ground harness, installed a license plate bracket for the front, a license plate light for the rear plate, passed NY inspection, transferred and obtained my title for NY, added another application of Flex Seal to the top, installed the doors, and fixed my temperature gauge.

Someone already either tried replacing the temperature gauge, or it came to the original owner messed up. I watched a video about the gauges, and noticed there's a smooth connecter, and a knurled connector. They were swapped on the temperature gauge, and it started working after I swapped them.

Also, in the meantime, I had a bout with a bad steering pump cooler. Replaced the cooler myself, and had an even better fight with getting the steering system bled properly after replacing it. Took me a few weeks to finally get it to stop foaming.

I believe the original owner bought this as a parts truck, as I found a few harder to find parts missing. Ended up having to make a T for the windshield washer hose assembly, buy new hose, and replace the reservoir pump.

It's been quite the journey to get where it's at now, and I keep looking forward to getting more done this spring.

20180917_143826.jpg

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you located in the southern tier ??? We have several members with Hmmwv's which would be more than happy to answer any questions . We have members all over the western NY area38709875_1982897425077088_7913469494758998016_n.jpg . Feel free to PM me I can fill you in our MV group , as they say read the TM's , they do come in handy !!! LOL bob k

papakb

It may be behemoth but your going to have a world of fun out at Montauk with it. I spent a very memorable night out there once after high centering the Falcon in the middle of nowhere................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks