• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Few Questions

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems my rear axles are very noisy, especially when decelerating. Is this normal? Also, what temperatures should the hubs run after driving a bit? Last, what engine oil pressure and coolant temp is normal once the vehicle is warmed up to operating temp?

Thank you.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
My hubs average 145+, and once you get up to temp they along with your axles will “howl”. The hotter it gets, the more the noise. Especially driving near non-stop from cali to georgia mine were LOUD.

Since you just purchased this truck, I’d highly advise changing all 6 hubs gear oil, and properly filling to Halfway level. Also check differentials to insure they’re not under/overfilled, as mine were GROSSLY overfilled and actually blew oil out onto the back of the cab on an extended drive through the vent tubes.

Change your transfer case oil, it uses 15w40 diesel oil. Do not put gear oil in it. IIRC it’s < 3 gallons.

Lastly, coolant temp should be between 185-195, fan kicks on around 210+-. Whatever you do, do not overheat the C12, it will crack a head in a heartbeat! The oil pressure will be around 10-15psi hot idle and 40-59 psi under load at high rpm per the Caterpillar manual specs. My truck personally runs 8psi indicated on the gauge at idle and 30 going down the road BUT the gauge is inaccurate and if you check the oil pressure via the TIM Behind your dash, my pressure is actually 12 at hot idle and 47 going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My hubs average 145+, and once you get up to temp they along with your axles will “howl”. The hotter it gets, the more the noise. Especially driving near non-stop from cali to georgia mine were LOUD.

Since you just purchased this truck, I’d highly advise changing all 6 hubs gear oil, and properly filling to Halfway level. Also check differentials to insure they’re not under/overfilled, as mine were GROSSLY overfilled and actually blew oil out onto the back of the cab on an extended drive through the vent tubes.

Change your transfer case oil, it uses 15w40 diesel oil. Do not put gear oil in it. IIRC it’s < 3 gallons.

Lastly, coolant temp should be between 185-195, fan kicks on around 210+-. Whatever you do, do not overheat the C12, it will crack a head in a heartbeat! The oil pressure will be around 10-15psi hot idle and 40-59 psi under load at high rpm per the Caterpillar manual specs. My truck personally runs 8psi indicated on the gauge at idle and 30 going down the road BUT the gauge is inaccurate and if you check the oil pressure via the TIM Behind your dash, my pressure is actually 12 at hot idle and 47 going down the road.

Thank you very much!!!

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Okay, I’d check fuses next I’m not sure which one it is, and also go under hood and remove the TIM box located high on firewall. It may be toast and you can confirm by removing and disassembling to see if the board inside is smoked

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks