• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A frame boom widget

serial14

Well, lately it seems I've had the need to move many heavy/large/awkward objects. The most annoying of which are 2 tree stumps sitting in my front yard.

Every once and a while I see pictures of military trucks with an A frame boom attached to the bumper to make an adhoc crane or lifting point. I could never find any information on them, but decided it would be a slick easy solution to my problems. After a couple of house fabrication time and some basic materials I had my self an A frame that would fit both the M923A1 front bumper and the M1008 rear bumper.

The first use of it, went well and was very straight forward. I'm already seeing many future uses for this.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you anchor the cables to?

Been thinking about something like this, and dad tells he used to have one anchored off the dump bed that used the winch to lift.

serial14

This site and this group of people are amazing. Even though I had tried to research this and didn't find anything, the collective group still knows things each individual doesn't.

The base of the A frame just uses the pins from the front shackles. The top of the frame has a fixed piece of steel with holes on either side. Both sides had steel caribeaners clipped in. The lower side goes to the block and tackle. The upper side clipped into a tow strap. Since I knew the weight wasn't too high, and even less on the back tie, I just used a 20' chain to load balance across the stirrup loops on the tail gate. In look at the referenced threads/pictures/TMs certainly the idea of going all the way back to the pintle is a good one. I'll probably go that route when I move some of my larger items.

Here are some extra pictures. The later ones are how I made the stumps in the first place. I'll tell you, the 5 ton will pull almost anything. With trees, the secret though is to have the trunk still present and getting up high enough to get some leverage. These trees came out pretty easy.

Attachments

Hoefler

Thanks for posting. I like to see work pictures and how folks implement common sense and creativity to make use of their trucks. I have some stumps that need to be removed. Straight pulling them out will not work, but looks like your idea will.
Thanks.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks