• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Gen Light Story

Over the last week or so my Gen1 light was very dimly glowing, then coming on, occasionally flashing, etc. Gen 2 started doing the same thing today.

I've checked the voltage at the batteries, very good, checked voltage at the alts, also very good. Checked the voltage at the batteries while running, and they indicated receiving a charge.

When Gen 1 would come on, I could see the voltage drop from the green/red border to the middle green, and if I loaded it, to the middle yellow.

Totally stumped, I read every thread here that could address it. And yes, I've memorized the TM and other helpful circuit print outs that have popped up over the years.

Went down to NAPA ready to change out the Gen 1 pully, thinking it might be hanging, was going to replace the belts as well, even though I've kept them tight, and they weren't squeaking. Ended up staring at the engine for 10 minutes and closed the hood and went home.

So, if you happen to have random gen light issues, totally independent of load, or rpms ...

Check the connections between the gen bulbs to the sockets, and most importantly, the sockets to the back of the dash.

Now my gen lights come on when I start it (which they always did) and gen 2 stays on a bit until I rev it, which is how it has always been happy operating.

Your whole charging system depends on good connections at these sockets. Silly engineering, but all too true.

So glad to have this charging gremlin (hopefully) solved.

HTH someone else.

txmytx_catahoula

I'm about to dive into a GEN 2 light issue this weekend. All week I've been researching this and having run into several KISS situations, I'm going to start at the light socket contacts. Thanks for reinforcing this for me!!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are absolutely correct that the GEN bulbs are critical in to the charging system.

If the bulbs don't work the excitor circuit will not excite the alternators.

Part of the CUCV montra: "If its electrical, clean it. If its rubber, replace it.

I propose a change:

If it's electrical, replace it, if it is rubber, well, ****, replace that too!

I now see a big weakness that I never noticed which is the board behind the dash.

It would be nice to just replace it with a couple circuits and be done with it.

These trucks don't need much electrical, but when then do, they can cripple you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks