• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A generator issue, 60 amp aluminum strap and black thick wire

RealtorB

I purchased a 1987 M998 HMMWV there was no generator on it I purchased a 60 amp generator and there are two things on the front there is a aluminum strap and a black thick cable with a red cap on the end where it bolts onto something and I do not know where they go on the generator does anyone have any help for me or any answers thank you in Advance

RealtorB

Ifif you click on my profile you will see a picture of what I'm talking about I'm a newbie sorry about the confusion I'm trying to learn how to maneuver around on the website

Action

the big bare flat wire is for the ground. it goes from the generator to the engine block or manifold bolt or water crossover bolt. Not sure on your application.

RealtorB

I know that the one with the red cap goes to the batteries, and the other one goes towards the rear , seems like there is something I am missing, I don't know alot about these 24 volt systems

RealtorB

I just don't know if I should trust the codes on these things there and some of them are color-coded or anything like that I have a feeling that the red one with the Is hot

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have the 100 or 200 amp set up not the 60 amp. Those 2 wires look they go the "upgraded" Niehoff alt.

Did the 60 amp mount up ok? I do not know if they are backwards compatible?

RealtorB

I haven't put the generator on yet, Its like that one cable with the red cap don't know where it goes, when I bought the 60 amp Generator they said it would work , that I didn't need a 100 or 200 amp because it had been demilitarized, stripped of all electronics like gps, and other stuff, would that red cable go to a voltage regulator or something like that, a friend of mine has the same generator as mine but does not have that cable with the red cap

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since "they" convinced you to buy the wrong alternator, you will have to figure out how to attach the huge cable to the little stud on the 60A. Recipe for disaster.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 60 amp is usually a smaller gauge hot wire than your pic with just a ring terminal with no red cap. The wires on a standard 60 amp go under a metal plate at the back. On the Niehoff there is an external stud and that is why it has that cap. Also the Niehoffs use the extra external ground strap.

Upgraded engines sometimes have the 200 amp or it might have been upgraded at the unit. All electronics are removed so that is deceptive. Your alt bracket also looks like the upgraded one. Search 200amp install kit 57k3520 for pictures on ebay/google

If you post pictures of your brackets, others might be able to tell you if it is a 100 or 200 amp set up as I don't know how to tell them apart since mine has a 60amp original and I bought a 200amp kit that I have not installed yet.

The 60amp would be easy to resell as it fits maybe 20-30 years of military vehicles. The Niehoffs are much pricier and usually dual voltage 12/24

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be good to locate the wiring diagram in the TM as it shows the alternator connections; it is in TM 9-2320-280-20-3 on page 1159 of the pdf. You should find the alternator wires in the vicinity of the left valve cover. They were previously used on the voltage regulator of the Niehoff. If you use he 60A alternator, you might need to get another ground cable to reach the ground connection at the top rear of the alternator. It is just to the left of the small sheet-metal cover, or see if you can locate the 3B ground wire and connect it there. The alternator output will flow through the 8-gage 5A wire; you do not really need the big heavy cable with the red end cover, probably best to just remove it completely.

Whatever combination of alternator and bracket you use, make sure there is not a gap between the alternator ears and the bracket, or the ears might crack when the bolts are tightened.

You will want to look at the belts also. The Niehoff used 3 long belts, and one short belt just on the PS pump. 60A with two groove pulley will use 2 long, 2 short belts. It is usually recommended to use matched sets.

RealtorB

I was just online looking at the niehoff I see where that cable would go on the correct way, I bought it from gov planet would they have had a niehoff on there, It seems odd to me , maybe I'm wrong, I don't want to fry the electrical on the Humvee. On the niehoff will I need to buy a voltage regulator, I just looked real quick,

RealtorB

Thank you to everyone that responded, Looks like I will be busy tomorrow getting this sorted out, This is my first one I bought, my friend let me drive his Humvee and that was it, My neighbor just bought a side by side 4 seater Polaris loaded paid 23k , I know I will go thru and over and have more fun in my Humvee
Thanks again to everyone, God Bless America

RealtorB

Since "they" convinced you to buy the wrong alternator, you will have to figure out how to attach the huge cable to the little stud on the 60A. Recipe for disaster.

I could not not find the TM 9-2320-280-20-3 your talking about is it on this website, also you mentioned alternator, I am using a 60 amp generator , thank you again for your help

RealtorB

I could not find the TM 9-2320-280-20-3 is it on this website

I could not not find the TM 9-2320-280-20-3 your talking about is it on this website, also you mentioned alternator, I am using a 60 amp generator , thank you again for your help

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures would help...
but what you most likely have is a 100/200amp setup. The old 60 amp can go back in, it just needs to wire up as a 60amp, those wires reside in the engine harness. The 100/200amp have a long thick cable that runs direct from the positive on the gen to the battery positve stud in the battery box, it no longer charges through the engine harness.
the ground is a flat ribbon cable that goes from gen ground to water crossover bolts, these bolts are metric FYI on the engine. The best thing to do is buy a 200amp gen install kit for cheap on epay, all the parts are in the kit as well as the instructions.the kits are like 35.00, that's cheap for what you get I need that kit, the cable alone is worth 80-100.00

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks