• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A happy day in Ferret land with my MK2/3

CaptMax

Earlier this week while looking for some Daimler ferret parts online I happened to stumble across a picture I hadn't seen before. Since purchasing my Ferret last summer I have looked online almost daily for anything Ferret related I could find. Low and behold the picture I found was of mine while in service!!!:)
I confirmed this by comparing hull numbers with the information I had previously acquired from the Bovington tank Museum in Dorset UK. The Ferret is currently undergoing an extensive restoration and I hope to have it finished sometime this summer. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
CaptMax

As purchased:

Vehicle history record:

In service picture: (circa 1973)

Another Ahab

Earlier this week while looking for some Daimler ferret parts online I happened to stumble across a picture I hadn't seen before. Since purchasing my Ferret last summer I have looked online almost daily for anything Ferret related I could find. Low and behold the picture I found was of mine while in service!!!
Whoa; what are the odds of THAT! That's amazing. Great find!!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice! Ferrets are just plain cool. Keep us updated as you progress.

May I suggest that you attach the actual pictures to your post rather than links? The links tend to disappear after a while, and we have lots of good older posts with nothing but dead links attached, so a lot of good information, and research material for others, is lost.

Cheers

lamson719

Nothing better than finding the history of your Ferret...Well maybe one thing better,an old Soldier that was part of it's crew....Wish you well on that...You do know of the Ferret appreciation site on Facebook ?

CaptMax

Been working on the restoration like a mad man, got it almost ready to pull the power pack and transmission. Here are some pictures of what it looks like at the moment. Most all the interior items have been restored and am working on the radiator, fan, and shroud this week.
CaptMax

CaptMax

All parts were first sandblasted and then primed with some good old (lead based) red oxide primer.
The shroud was painted with "Rattle can" Dupli-Color high heat engine paint (w/ceramic) #DE 1650 cast coat aluminum.
The fan was a sprayed with an old can of Omni brand automotive paint I had laying around. I also cleaned, checked and repacked the bearings before reassembly.
The radiator pressure tested to 20 psi (twice that of normal pressure) and was found to be good, I will repaint that this weekend. The coolant filler was refinished as well.
CaptMax
IMG_1516.jpgCoolant fill cap.jpg

Last edited:

CaptMax

A little elbow-grease goes long way, CaptMax.

Just a little hand-sanding there?
Actually it was disassembled and sandblasted, then primed and painted. I did replace the gaskets and hose while I was at it.
Yes, a bit of elbow grease and a little ambition can accomplish much. Funny how the pictures were taken in the same location but on different days and the colors look so different. The paint is actually a very good match although it doesn't look it in the pictures.
CaptMax

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks