• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A little 5-ton buying advice needed...

allgonoshow

Ok so I took a look at an M-39 5-ton 6x6 this weekend. Here is a little info of what I found out about it. It had been sitting for 2-3 years when the guy who is selling it bought it. He brought it home and got it running. The place that is selling the 5-ton is a home building center. He deals with and moves quite a few dueces with the occasional 5-ton.He painted it (pretty poor job btw) and looks as though he replaced some hoses. It has a winch and a 17 ft box on the back. The truck is a little rough body wise but still OK. There is a huge exhause leak coming from the elbow of the stack. Oil is dripping very steadily from the front of the engine when running, which i am guessing was the front main seal and or oil pan. When I took the truck for a test drive it started and ran fine. A few pops and creaks here and there but that was expected. I drove the truck out of town about 4 miles. The brake pedal had good pressure but the truck did not want to stop very well. The temperature outside was nearing 100 degrees. I looked down and saw the temp on the truck was around 220! By the time I could find a good spot to stop, the temp was 240. I am guessing the thermostat was stuck shut. I let it cool down and limped it back to the store. The guy said he would fix the coolant problem, oil leak, and exhaust leak. He also said he would look at the brakes but no guarantees. He is asking $4000 for this truck. So do you guys think it is worth it? I will mainly just be using the truck around the ranch. Any help or additional advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

allgonoshow

It has the multifuel diesel engine. Sorry no pics. If I did have pics it would look pretty good from afar. But up close and personal you can tell that it sat for 2 years and is a little beat up. I'm not worried about the cosmetic stuff.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Look at our classifieds here to see what 5tons are going for. Personally, I would not pay that much for something that has sat for 2 years and has issues. It might be a good deal, I am not up on current prices. I think southdave is looking at an 813 for $3000.

allgonoshow

Yeah I was thinking he was asking a little much for it. He also said he would ship it for my for just the cost of the fuel to get it here which is about 120 miles away. Maybe I am not looking hard enough but I just have not seen many for sale locally?

allgonoshow

He also said that it has 16,000 miles on it. the front driver windshield and passenger side windows are cracked also. So do you guys think I should try to get him to come down some? I really need something to haul some hay with and I think this thing could get the job done if I werent haveing to work on it. Is gettin the engine up to 240 going to hurt this engine (I know it was not good for it)?Thanks again for the help guys. I'm not too knowledgeable about these trucks.

allgonoshow

Ellsworth airforce base and the South Dakota national guard are only about 110 miles from me. How would I go about finding out if they had some for sale?

deuceman51

I hope this isn't the guy from nebraska again? I think chadron if I remember correctly. I had to fix a truck a customer supplied me with that he worked on. Same crappy paint job and he didn't do a thing to it. The wheel bearings were also rusted up and the truck was a pile. Ellsworth has some once in awhile, but honestly the supply is about dried up in SD. I know because I work full time for the SDNG and there isn't much out at camp rapid for turn ins because we all turned in our M35s and the like about 2 years ago. There might be about 4 or 5 left out there to sell and that's about it.