• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A neat trailer upgrade for my 3KW generator set

goldneagle

Saw one of these trailer / generator setups on Ebay when I was looking for the selling value of the generator. The trailer looked like the small trailer I saw in the Harbour Freight circular. I thought it would make a better transport cart than the heavy duty garden cart I used with mine. The cart I had barely held the generator and was hard to maneuver.

Upon further reading of the circular I settled for the 2nd trailer that had the 12" wheels and rated 1090lb capacity. It was on sale for $229.99. I was able to use the 20% off coupon I had for the purchase. Cost me $211.90 with the jack I had to purchase separately. It did not come with a jack. I also ended up replacing the 1-7/8" ball receiver with a 2" for $12.99 extra. All my trialer use 2" ball or pintle hitch so I wanted to keep it simple.

To my surprise the trailer is built well. It took a bit of time to assemble the parts but was worth the effort. Everything came in the kit except the deck itself. I ended up using a deck plate from a M931 tractor for the deck. I added some 1 x 1 angle along the long edges. I used 1/4" mono-bolts to secure the deck to the trailer frame and the 1x 1 angle to the deck plate.

I set the generator on top of the newly installed deck plate before I went in for the day.

I will secure the generator to the trailer deck Sunday. Here are some pictures...

Attachments

jamawieb

I use the same trailer for my mep-002a. I wouldn't drive it down the road but it's perfect for moving around the farm.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking about building me a small trailer like that for my 003. It's on a M103 generator trailer at the moment but it's way more than it needs and takes up too much room.

jamawieb

I just have to wonder how well those little trailers put up with vibration
I've got about 150 hours on mine now. I haven't had any problems and I haven't had anything come apart. I also added a scissor jack on the back of the trailer so when it's running, the jack on the front and rear stabilize the unit as it runs.

goldneagle

Looks great like it made to order! A little bit of OD green paint and it would look original... :)
I just touched up the red on the frame and the angle iron! I like the green/red combo. Kinda like Christmas color scheme....:D Being so small it needs the red color to be noticed so it doesn't get run over. :recovry4x4:

goldneagle

Got the generator bolted down to the trailer deck yesterday. I used the 4 holes in the bottom skid to secure it. Today a dug out my ground rods from storage. I had 3 new ground rods with couplings and top bolt. Also had the acorn ground clamp attached. I found a partial 2" PVC conduit that can be used to store the ground rods. I went to Home Depot and got some 2" PVC fittings. 1 glue on cap. 1 female adapter and a clean-out plug. I also got two 2" conduit straps to secure the pipe to the cart. I got the storage tube installed on the back of the trailer. See picture.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks