• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A new guy and His M51A2 Dump

Bendawg

Hi all, I'm a new guy getting my first M52A2 Dump. It has a 20 ton winch and everything works great on the truck. All the breaks ect... It has 24,000 ish miles. I'm paying about 7,000 for it so I hope I'm not getting smoked. Don't think so but I figure this is the place to find out. I'm going to be converting to the super singels also and I'm looking for a good used set, maybe someone can tell me were to go for them. I'm going to paint it fire engine red with a black frame and rims. Anyone know the best paint for these ? I'm an industrial painter by trade but maybe you guys know something I don't. Thanks for the help all.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you are getting a good truck. $7K for an M51A2 w/winch is a good deal. The singles will increase your road speed and improve your traction, but you will lose any top end power that the motor had.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bendawg, welcome to the site. Quick word of warning, painting MVs fire engine red will get some criticisim, but its from past "trolls". I don't know alot about the dumps so I cannot comment on the price. I'm sure we will have others chime in here soon.

BEASTMASTER

if it's an original unit ,it probably has a 20,000 ld winch on the front, not a 20 ton, but with a snatch block you will double the pulling power. [thumbzup]

Bendawg

Hi all here is a pic. I will put more on as soon as I get her cleaned up a bit more. I see a guy in TX selling these for 20k. Is that for real or is he insane? The name of the company is Osh Kosh or something like that. She is solid as a rock not a drop of rot anywhere. I just ran into a fuel pump problem but I guess I can get a 24 volt pump at the local auto parts store and make it work ( I hope )

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Nice looking truck.

Interesting; it was in the service long enough to get the MWO cargo tie downs...... those didn't start until the early Eighties, right?

Bendawg

4 Star hate to be ignit but what are MWO tiedowns anyway ? were do the go ? I have some small loops inside the bed. Quite a few actually.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The cargo tie downs were offered as kits in which you cut a hole in the bed and welded them to it, thus giving you a way to strap down cargo.

Attachments

BEASTMASTER

the ones at osh kosh are completely refurbished,and for $20,000 depending on what you use it for,if you need an all wheel drive dump , i'ts a bargain.i got a buddie in ariz. he says some of the landscapers out there use military trucks because of the terain out there. :driver:

Bendawg

So if I clean this up a bit and just put a fresh coat of paint ( original of course ) what do you think something like this would be worth ? I linve in Ma if that makes a difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks