• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a new idea for a 12 volt system

JasonS

i was planning on running a second alternator and running a 12 volt sub-system - it would be fairly easy and add a 3rd battery.

but then i found a 100amp equalizer on ebay for $200 - this is cheaper and easier than an alternator, battery, and new serpentine belt. plus it will out-perform a 100 amp 12 volt alternator at low rpms.
Just tie your 12V alternator to the middle of your two 12V batteries. No nead for a third battery.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That wise-azz remark reminds me of "Christmas Story" when the one kid says to Ralphy, "ok wise-azz, my old man said if you touch you tongue to a cold flag pole it will stick" or something along those lines. Pretty funny movie.

scootertrs

I was just replacing 2 of my 2007 batteries (original military depot stuff) that came direct from GL on my 818 at Redstone Arsenal and surpringsly there was a "non-Mil spec" wire going from the middle of the 4 batteries to a box in the fire wall. Looks like someone tried to use 12Volts for something. Do not know what for, nor what the box is supposed to do. My plans were to rewire it just like it was. Obviously someone in the Govt. needed to get 12V for something and this is the way they figured how to do it.

Last edited:

jwaller

I would like to sell you 100 of them at 1000 each if you think they cost 2400+ that shoudl be a good deal for you.

Dude.. a brand new one at a retail price is 500. I have even found them on ebay... Time to do some searching before placing foot in mouth.

Really if anyone wants one I can them cheaper then $500.

ditto, I just bought a new in can 12/24 200A unit off ebay for $500 shipped.

Stalwart

Sorry Scooter but you'll toast another set of batteries tapping off only one. It overcharges one and undercharges the other.

Hammer

I was just replacing 2 of my 2007 batteries (original military depot stuff) that came direct from GL on my 818 at Redstone Arsenal and surpringsly there was a "non-Mil spec" wire going from the middle of the 4 batteries to a box in the fire wall. Looks like someone tried to use 12Volts for something. Do not know what for, nor what the box is supposed to do. My plans were to rewire it just like it was. Obviously someone in the Govt. needed to get 12V for something and this is the way they figured how to do it.
That is for the cold weather flame heater thing. 12v glow plug for it, stock military setup.

scootertrs

Sorry Scooter but you'll toast another set of batteries tapping off only one. It overcharges one and undercharges the other.
I agree... I just do not have any idea why the military put that 12V tap in there. In my deuce Fire truck I have several converters powering my 12 lights and sirens... I know that the truck came to me direct from the Government and it had that tap. Go figure...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's for the HUMVEE transmission power source, very small load.

scootertrs

That is for the cold weather flame heater thing. 12v glow plug for it, stock military setup.

OK... will go back... interesting though... I could not find it in any wiring diagram... maybe did not look in the right place or it was an accessory diagram... I can tell you that the wiring does not appear to be mil spec... maybe retrofit?

thanks

jwaller

OK... will go back... interesting though... I could not find it in any wiring diagram... maybe did not look in the right place or it was an accessory diagram... I can tell you that the wiring does not appear to be mil spec... maybe retrofit?

thanks
it's in there bc I've seen it with my 2 eye's. Just look at the wiring diagram at the battery and it will show it. The wire may not be mi spec. All the ones I've seen do not have the rubber coated look to them like everything else does.

jwaller

It's for the HUMVEE transmission power source, very small load.
it's rated for 60A continuous. that is the same as a std S-10 or many regular cars of today that are only rated for 60A spike. it's big enough for a lot of things but not everything.

scootertrs

it's in there bc I've seen it with my 2 eye's. Just look at the wiring diagram at the battery and it will show it. The wire may not be mi spec. All the ones I've seen do not have the rubber coated look to them like everything else does.
looks to be #6 or #4 and the part in the battery box area is wrapped in Red tape

Hammer

Personally, I think the equalizer that stalwart posted is about the easiest way to go about doing this.
Especially in that is stands to reason that it will help extend the life of the batteries even if left in stock form.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks