• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

a new idea for a 12 volt system

Stalwart

I'm a lazy b@$tard, plus I want a simple one wire civilian alternator . . . hence the equalizer. A gold plated Mil Spec dual voltage unit might be cool but can you imagine changing one of those things out in BF Egypt and getting it fixed? I'd rather call NAPA and get another new one. Also, knowing my luck, I'd get one of the 7000 serial numbered ones that are prone to failure, there are a lot of them out there.

JmanX

been doing some thinkin, but im no electrician. the reason i came up with this idea was to find the cheapest and simplest way to get a 12 and 24 volt set up. here is my idea.....

i know it is possible to run a 12 volt system off of just one battery....... however it creates an uneven charge between the 2 batteries, hence the ever popular equalizer, correct? now the thought is, that if pulling from one battery creates an uneven charge, it only seems logical (to non-electrician me) than you should be able to hook them together (in parallel) and get an even draw off both batteries with only 12 volts, without disturbing the 24 volt system. :grd:

it sounds good in theroy right............

mudguppy

no, because the batteries are still in series. the equalizer just takes the voltage difference between the batteries and supplies 'Battery A', the low battery, with power to bring it back up to 'Battery B' voltage. the equalizer just looks at voltage differences, not a voltage setpoint.

what you are describing is connecting both batteries in series and in parrallel, which is a short condition if you maintain a common ground. also, the batteries will not charge equally.

mudguppy

no worries - getting 12V out of a 24V system is fairly new to me too. i've only learned the options recently as i've been looking into it for my project.

based on Stalwart's recommendation, i gave battery equalizers another look. i'm in alignment with him - equalizers seem to be the easiest and most reliable/maintenance free method to get a significant amount of 12V power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks