• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A new spin to an old problem

CARNSEQ

Hey guys you may just be the answer I'm looking for .. I have a 813 bought actually traded in ... It sat most of the time and was only used for parades .. So when I first bought it I took a test ride and heard a click in the front drivers side hub .. After tearing it apart found the left front axle broke and had been that way for some time .. Now it was not as simple as pull out and install a new one .. The splines actually twisted a fraction of an inch .... that would not allow the old broken piece of 12' to come out ... ended up removing the other side driving the broken half into the middle,,,, and then removed the entire front end and pulled it apart ... the point I want to make is that when the axle broke it actually twisted the splines slightly on the pinion gear .It did not break at the joint . I took a diamond bit and worked the splines about .030 to receive the new axle .. what ever broke it took some force ,, but I figured it may have been that way for years .. I installed a new bear claw axle and seal and rebuilt the front end .. tested the truck and it worked great ... ran a few miles up and down the road ,, I was sitting in the parking lot moving forward and backwards 50' at a time trying to figure out the whole air shift high low range thing when that same axle exploded ... This time it took more repairs because when the balls came out it bent the lower king pin and the steering shaft when I went to turn the wheels,,, .... after some machine work and welding and a complete drivers side rebuild AGAIN with the newer style axle .. I started doing my homework knowing that something is wrong .... The air solenoid is working from neutral to rev .... but this time I jacked the truck up on all 4s to test it before I break something ...again ....
With the truck off and no air in the system I can spin the front wheels ( together ) forward and backwards no problem .... After I air up the system I can ONLY spin the front wheels FORWARD and NOT BACKWARDS .... Does this indicate that the REV sprag is STUCK ? that may be the answer as to why two axles broke !

Also is this truck FULL TIME all wheel drive ? so that when there is a 6% slip the sprags lock up and power all wheels ?

If I do have a stuck sprag I read one thread that stated to try filling the transfer case with 5 gal of diesel and running it .... and that may free it up ... ??? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!!!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes it will free it sometimes. I have had to do it on a few older trucks in the past.

CARNSEQ

Is what I described a sign that the REV sprag is stuck ? because I believe thats when the axle snapped in my parking lot when I was trying to back up on pavement ,,

Also does anyone have a link for a TM that has a parts breakdown of that Transfer case ?

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of a long shot, but any chance it's had the wrong ratio, axle or chunk swapped in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk