• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A picture of my fried Glow Plug Card

NC Cucv

I am getting ready to do some work on my Glow plug system. I am thinking of getting the ac 60 plugs and I just got a new
glow plug relay. The guy at advanced told me the one for a 84 ford bronco work great. I also was wondering is the stock gp system a 12 volt or 24? Has any one tried using the same relay?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helps if you tell us what truck you have.

The stock glow plug system on a Cucv is the following:

12v relay controls, controlling 24v feed to the plugs. When everything is working to specs, the 24v is reduced to 12v.

How do we know if the relay is correct as you didn't post a part number? Has the guy at Advanced ever seen a CUCV?

Read the sticky in the CUCV forum on Glow Plug Controller Operation

Last edited:

NC Cucv

It was from advance auto it is made by Bwd Z series part # S58Z solenoid. The guy said it was listed for a 84 ford bronco, diesel. Cost around $20. Thanks for your help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was from advance auto it is made by Bwd Z series part # S58Z solenoid. The guy said it was listed for a 84 ford bronco, diesel. Cost around $20. Thanks for your help.
I didn't know Dodge had a diesel in 1984. Learn something new everyday.

I checked the part number at BWD - Home . It doesn't list the specs so I can't give you a recommendation. It is listed as a stater solenoid

cpf240

I've not been here long, and have no practical experience with these GP systems, but I seem to remember reading here that if you are still using the 24v feed through the resistors to supply the relay, then the relay has to have an isolated ground. There was a test mentioned where you use an ohm meter to see is there is any continuity to the relay housing from any of the terminals.

Not sure what happens if it isn't isolated, but I get the impression it would be very bad!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks