• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A place to hide a fuel shut-off solenoid cut-out (theft deterrent) switch

diesel_dave

I spent a long time trying to find a good place to hide a switch that disables the injector pump as a theft deterrent to casual car thieves that don't know their way around a HMMWV. I wanted somewhere that was hidden from line-of-sight and was also easily accessible. I think the high beam switch cover was a good place that met these requirements. I created a mount for my switch and epoxied it to the back of the cover and ran the wiring up to the injector pump. It is completely hidden from view except the wiring which I could always hide inside the loom if I ever found the motivation to do so. Obviously, if someone knows what they are doing, they could easily find the issue causing the truck not to start and bypass this cut-out switch, but this should hopefully keep kids from hopping in and taking off with my truck.

So, for anyone looking to do this, this is just an idea for your consideration.

Attachments

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to reach down there to turn it off and on. The b-pillar on the back side 1 1/2” down from the blank off panel and you can reach between the seat and the b-pillar to turn it off and on. Can’t see any wires or switch

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

I spent a long time trying to find a good place to hide a switch that disables the injector pump as a theft deterrent to casual car thieves that don't know their way around a HMMWV. I wanted somewhere that was hidden from line-of-sight and was also easily accessible. I think the high beam switch cover was a good place that met these requirements. I created a mount for my switch and epoxied it to the back of the cover and ran the wiring up to the injector pump. It is completely hidden from view except the wiring which I could always hide inside the loom if I ever found the motivation to do so. Obviously, if someone knows what they are doing, they could easily find the issue causing the truck not to start and bypass this cut-out switch, but this should hopefully keep kids from hopping in and taking off with my truck.

So, for anyone looking to do this, this is just an idea for your consideration.
Another good security is 5/8 windows with locking door handles if you got a hard top

INFChief

It might be worth your time to consider additional measures. In the military we simply chained steering wheels. Having redundant security measures is the best approach - but that won’t stop miscreants from wreaking havoc.

As I type this I recall a short vid where a guy planted a flash-bang in his console because his pick up had been repeatedly broken in to by the same Al Capone wannabe. If you want a laugh Google it.

I don’t have a HMMWV but I now wonder what folks do to keep people from opening the hood?

diesel_dave

Now we all know where your hidden switch is...
Anyone on here would be able to easily bypass these types of theft deterrents. Just lift the hood, plug the original 54 wire back in to the injection pump and drive away. Would take 15 seconds max. This is for petty criminals that are too lazy/scared to figure out why the truck won't start. Thankfully, not a lot of those people where I live.

diesel_dave

No need to hide the switch at all. Simply put it in plain site but label it as "Windshield Washers" or similar.
I was really close to doing that and labeling it an aux light switch but I had the thought that the thief might get in and just randomly start flipping any visible switches and then get the truck to start. I may still put a second switch in series with the other one that I can use for extra security but as long as the hood can easily be raised, the engine can be started.

Action

I was really close to doing that and labeling it an aux light switch but I had the thought that the thief might get in and just randomly start flipping any visible switches and then get the truck to start. I may still put a second switch in series with the other one that I can use for extra security but as long as the hood can easily be raised, the engine can be started.
simply run a cable lock thru the airlift hoops.
you could use H1 latch, but you need locking doors.

diesel_dave

simply run a cable lock thru the airlift hoops.
you could use H1 latch, but you need locking doors.
Dang, I never even considered that. Steel cable through the hoops, steering wheel cable lock and a hidden cut-out switch should make these things pretty annoying to steal. I'll definitely keep that in mind if ever I need to leave my truck parked somewhere sketchy for any length of time.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may still put a second switch in series with the other one that I can use for extra security but as long as the hood can easily be raised, the engine can be started.
Why not a third and a fourth?!
Seriously. One in a place where it makes sense. If you switch a second one in series then you have to operate that one too. So then rather just one time correctly and that's good!
And besides, each switch is an option for a mistake!

Action

Why not a third and a fourth?!
Seriously. One in a place where it makes sense. If you switch a second one in series then you have to operate that one too. So then rather just one time correctly and that's good!
And besides, each switch is an option for a mistake!
Put several in a row. Each one needs to be in a particular spot. Like in mad max:fury road.
Ip, down, up , up, down ,up

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can program this for you with an adruino as a 2-factor autentoification. Activation then with text.
We Germans have experience there... see Enigma. The English have then naked, you had enough to do with the Jamaican code.

btw... a clamp around the ebrake... easy to build and direct visibility is a deterrent.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can program this for you with an adruino as a 2-factor autentoification. Activation then with text.
We Germans have experience there... see Enigma. The English have then naked, you had enough to do with the Jamaican code.

btw... a clamp around the ebrake... easy to build and direct visibility is a deterrent.
Respectfully…

As I seem to recall, we Allies broke your Enigma code (circa 1941) and didn’t let on for quite some time, leading to some significant military gains and victories. Are you implying that you will give him a code that will be broken?

Just saying…..

Your suggestion to clamp the E brake is on point. 👍

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for the record.... the team, leaded by Allen Turin, broke the code at Bletchley Park, and thats in England. In 1943 first time for the 3-roll enigma, and then, technicly not broken, by using a codebook from a not sunken uboot that captured by the us navy, for the more advanced 4-roll enigma.
And thats what i sayed.
The US Marines, if i remember right, broke the code of the janaese navy. Also 1943 if i'm right.
😘

sorry for offtopic.

Last edited:

blutow

But can't you just turn the e-brake handle adjuster until it's no longer engaging the brakes in the locked position? It's better than nothing, but I personally believe the standard steering wheel cable lock is a better option. I plan to add a fuel shutoff at some point as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks