• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A proper parked winch

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I copied this from the 5T form, I think that everybody that has a winch truck should keep this in mind to avoid winch damage and someone getting hurt.

"Since the PTO was locked in neutral and the winch drive shaft was not turning, no problem. Or so we thought".

" We are driving around the yard with it in low range. We stopped and shifted it into hi-range. We go about ¼ mile or so and the truck starts making a noise from ****. The PTO was locked in neutral and it slipped into gear. The winch drive shaft started to spin. After awhile the heat & friction welded the drive shaft and winch drive together, now with a locked up winch wound up even tighter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73m819
This EVENT is one of the MAIN reasons that the DRUM CLUTCH is ALWAYS left in the DISENGAGED position when the winch is NOT IN USE, the -10 tells you to disengage the drum clutch, Engage the DRUM LOCK, that is why it is there.

It is a lot cheaper to READ the -10 on winch use then to FIX the damage after the event, and still the TM has to be read

Thought this was a POSTIVE comment about WHY you DISANGAGE the drum clutch and ENGAGE the drum lock when the winch is not in use, so MAYBE this will NOT happen to someone else. In fact the pto jumping into gear was most likely the ROOT cause of the winch issue to begin with.
________

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certainly good advice, Ron!

There is a reason for that safety latch to exist... (to secure the clutch lever in the disengaged position)

G.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One truck I purchased, had the linkage improperly adjusted.

The lever in the cab was in the neutral position with the floor gate down, but it was actually in gear.

The winch engagement lever on the winch was in the disengaged position.

I am assuming that they drove a long time like this. The bronze/brass bull gear in the winch was completely toothless and it was obvious that it has been very very hot. The steel pinion gear was several shades of blue and purple. It looked like the oil had turned into something else, from the heat.

So, even with the winch handle disconnected, damage had occurred all due to a miss adjusted linkage.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I finish a winching operation, I'll look under the truck to make sure the driveshaft isn't spinning with the clutch out. I just want to make for sure the PTO is in neutral before I head out.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've considered adding a yellow line on the end of my drive shaft, to improve it's visibility to positively know that it is not rotating (or is). My ground guide always checks it for me after I place the pto in or out of gear.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For people that use them enough, you can 'feel' whether the PTO is engaged or not. Actually you can hear it too...if ya know, ya know. :mrgreen:
LOL... very true; for everyone who spent years in and around these fine trucks!
I was waiting for someone to comment just that....:)

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks