• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A question for people with M37 and bobbed deuce.

bpj911

I was reading Bryan S.'s post on lusting after a bobbed deuce. I have considered a diesel swap into my m37 for a long time. It runs and drives great with the flathead. I have also considered just bobbing a nice deuce for the diesel instead as the deuce looks like a HUGE m37 when bobbed. So, is the bobbed deuce as handy as a M37? I could really only have one or the other. I have had a stock deuce and liked it but it was slower and really hard to steer on pavment, etc. Can someone compare a bobbed deuce to a stock m37 as far as speed, streetability? I would not go with the 16.00's, just too big looking for me. I would want lockouts, heater, softop, winch. I would leave the entry boards and gas tank. I would also want to route the exhaust under the truck with a muffler. I hate the loud exhaust on the deuce and don't like the stack where it is as I would drive with the windshield down in the summer.

Capt.Marion

RE: A question for people with M37 and bobbed duece.

Bobbed deuce should be every bit as capable as a full deuce, but easier to turn, and smaller. As opposed to the M37, it can cruise 55-60, air-locking front axle. Even with only a single rear, it can carry a bit more than the M37. Cheaper (i think) than a diesel repower in an M37, although time and skill-wise, I'm not sure. M35s are more on-highway than the M37 for sure. The other difference is when you repower an M37 with a Cummins 4BTA or a Detroit 3-53 or whatever, you can walk into Napa and get most every part for the engine. I'm not sure you can do that as much for the LDT 465.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I've had an M-37 since along about 1970 & its still pretty much stock. It is an excellant vehicle, because of all its parts are pretty much balanced. It is limited by its gearing to a max of about 50, but they really mean about 40 MPH. The origine of its engine goes back to the mid 40's. It has tremendous torque @ low RPM, because of its stroke. More power, won't accomplish much, but it will find the next weak spot! The rear axels are not real strong and the knuckle joints in the steering axels don't tend to lubricate well, at sustained high speed. On the whole, it doesn't tend to lend itself well, to engine conversions. I have heard it said by long time employees at the proving grounds, that its success was due to the fact that you could not "Hot Rod" it - I believe that, and think it is still so!. It's just is, what it is, a fine truck.

The Deuce, on the other hand, has all kinds of possibilities, are numerous and relatively inexpensive. Generally, parts are much more availiable, about anywhere. They are generally stronger, on the whole, and can take much more punishment, by todays standards. While they too, may be limited by their gearing, they will take more power. Generally, I believe, one of the more limiting factors of both the Deuce & the 5 Tons, is that the gear box has only 5 speeds for Highway applications, where loading is a concern. When you Bob a Deuce, ie, make it smaller, that 5 speed transmission becomes more appropriate & proportional to its size/weight.

Without a moments hesitation, I'd go for the Deuce....

Lee in Alaska

russ81

I have just started bobbing my 1959 Reo Duce. I will keep every one posted about the progress, along with pictures, and a little commentary. Hope this will help.

bpj911

M37

So, will putting on a muffler be a problem? I can't stand the noise and I don't care for the stack there in my field of vision when I have the windshield down in addition to the diesel smoke wisping into my eyes, etc when stopped...

m376x6

There's a;ways an exception to the theory

M37's do quite well at 70 mph. No, a stock M37 will not do that. An M37 with a 318 V8 and taller tires will. I've spun 42 inch tall tires many times on pavement with a stock rear end and have pulled 3,000 pounds of cargo up out of canyon bottoms and actually abused the trucks ad have never broken an axle (this subject on axle weakness is a well beaten dead horse for many years). Knuckles with proper grease and levels lube great. Actually the only weak spot I have found over the last 20+ years restoring M37's and M43's (right at 30 now) from the ground up and doing a great many engine conversions is that the stock brake system is a little shy of long lasting when using taller tires. Having had over 44 deuces over the years but never having had or been around a Bob deuce I can't speak about the dissimilarities. But it does appear the Bob would be the big brother to the M37. I really feel you're comparing apples to oranges here. What do you want to do, what do you need to do. Either the stock deuce or M37 is very adaptable to modifications and work well when they are done with care and quality. And man, are there some nice Bobs running around from what I've seen here. My blood is rushing again, where's my medicin agh agh

Regards,
Bryan

notenoughtoys

help my m-37

since you have restored a number of m-37's--care to give advice on or help with 1 more--I see that you are in denver as am I, and need all the help available---thanks

m376x6

since you have restored a number of m-37's--care to give advice on or help with 1 more--I see that you are in denver as am I, and need all the help available---thanks
Advice, well, here goes. You can spend all the money you want, to getting your M37 to where you want it to be. Completely museum quality, motor pool ready, stock. retrofitted, barely running and ugly, whatever you want. There are disc brake conversions, engine conversions, air operated differential lockers available, 24 to 12 volt conversions. Tire and wheels conversions. Pretty much all the nice things ever stock on an M37 are still available either NOS or reproduction. Basic common sense and the knowledge in the difference between a combination and box end wrench is very helpful indeed. And, I hate to do this, But..........

nopics

What have you get right now?

Regards,
M376X6

mikew

I haven't driven an M37 but I did just finish bobbing my first Duece.

I've done the standard bob job, M105 trailer bed and springs with flipped hubs. I've also added a NAPA muffler, insulated the underside of the transmission tunnel, rubber boots on the gearshift, transfer case and steering column plus added rubber floor mats (made out of mats available at Tractor Supply). I put in a pair of seats from a Freightliner truck, a remote brake fluid reservoir and even a waterproof stereo from Jensen. Next will be firewall and hood insulation and then new door and window seals. Ultimatly air conditioning...

I've driven the Duece to work every day for a month or so and what I can say is that it is much easier to steer after being bobbed. it's easy enough that I don't think I'll add air-assist steering, but - I've got several older cars without power steering, so it's something I used to.

It fits in most standard parking spaces.

I'm running 9.00 tires, so it tops out about 55mph. I will put 11.00's on it for a little more speed. The truck is so much fun I'm usualy not in a big hurry to get anywhere and park it!

The muffler, tunnel insulation and floor mats have made it quite a bit quieter, but I'd like a little less noise. Once the firewall and hood are insulated and then better window and door seals it should be pretty quiet.

Speaking of comfort, if your duece has the original "bench type" seat, you'll really want to replace it with something else.

Another comfort issue, the tunnel insulation, mats and boots have made it much cooler in the cab. It's been in the upper eighties over the last couple of days and it is not much warmer in the cab than outside.

One of the nicest things about the Duece is it let's you look down on those cute little Hummers and FJ Cruisers. I parked next to a very nice, decked-out, lifted, roll-bar with too many lights Ford 4x4 the other evening and I don't think the guy's jaw ever came off the ground, he was wishing he had a Duece!

notenoughtoys

Advice, well, here goes. You can spend all the money you want, to getting your M37 to where you want it to be. Completely museum quality, motor pool ready, stock. retrofitted, barely running and ugly, whatever you want. There are disc brake conversions, engine conversions, air operated differential lockers available, 24 to 12 volt conversions. Tire and wheels conversions. Pretty much all the nice things ever stock on an M37 are still available either NOS or reproduction. Basic common sense and the knowledge in the difference between a combination and box end wrench is very helpful indeed. And, I hate to do this, But..........

nopics

What have you get right now?

Regards,
M376X6
basically a 1962 stock m-37 b1. It runs ok and is pretty much all there, but would like to make it more friendly to use--disc brakes, engine swap (hercules or cummins ?) gears, maybe a 12 v conversion--I am not a mechanic but am capable of turning a wrench. Not sure where to begin or the cost involved with or with-out help.
I should have a photo as my avatar now

Attachments

CGarbee

I don't have a bobbed duece so I can't really make the comparison that is asked however I have several M37's and M35's and have looked at (and driven) several bob jobs that friends have...

I really like the fact that my M37's can get into a standard size parking space and that the bed is low enough to easily toss stuff in when I am at Lowes or some place simlar getting a hot water heater or a bag of fertilizer or such. I like the fact that I can run them up trails in the mountains that are narrow and twisty. I like the fact that my M37 with the Cummins in it will go 75mph while getting 17mpg (and will get 25mpg on the highway if I can keep it down to 52mph...
I like the fact that my M35's give me a much better view of the road (higher cab) and that they can haul so much more (can't slap a MEP005 in the back of a M37...). Don't like the high bed when just hauling a little bit of stuff, but like the dropsides when loading a pallet of block, cement, or a pile of lumber. I like the added stability of having the extra axle and wheelbase (not to mention the weight) when towing stuff.
A bob job would still have that high bed on it that can be a tad difficult too when tailgating at the game since you'd have to reach up to get your stuff off the tailgate when using it as a table/bar... The ones that I have driven seemed a tad "twitchy" for towing (but had really big tires on them)...

To be honest though, I really like my five tons a lot more than the dueces... (all the five tons and dueces are stock). I really like my 1/4 and 1/2 tons (jeeps and mule)... It all depends on what you are doing and how you feel on a given day...

You'll have a big grin on your face no matter which way you go.

Enjoy.

m376x6

basically a 1962 stock m-37 b1. It runs ok and is pretty much all there, but would like to make it more friendly to use--disc brakes, engine swap (hercules or cummins ?) gears, maybe a 12 v conversion--I am not a mechanic but am capable of turning a wrench. Not sure where to begin or the cost involved with or with-out help.
I should have a photo as my avatar now
It looks very complete including the bed bows and spare tire carrier. There is a fellow who makes a disc brake conversion kit. The best place to check out would be Cabell's web site that is all about M37s. His site would probably be the best place to get a feel for where you're heading. I have V8's in mine, power steering, engine driven air compressors, air tanks, larger tires and tubeless wheels. The 6X6 I built is 12 volts now. When I install the centered rear end (WC series) in the 4X4 I plan on installling a disc brake setup that I'm part way finished with in my shop and also converting it to 12 volts as well. I have two air locking differentials I will install front and back and had a couple of custom rear shafts made since lockers can be a bit tough on axle shafts. I like to keep everything in the cab and outside looking unmodified with the exception of camo paint based on the deuce pattern and the tubeless wheels that look somewhat combat rim style. Otherwise, gearshifts, pedals, gauges are all in stock position and no holes have been cut.

You might want to try getting you're current truck up in top running condition and looking the way you want it to look over the long haul and then seeing where you want to go with it based on what you want to do with it. In that I mean daily driver, or parade machine, or hauling stuff occassionally, perhaps enjoying some 4X4 trails. The M37 in stock form is an incredible trail machine. Having owned a lot of deuces, and also 5 tons in 6x6 and 8x8 configurations, I can say bigger is not always better. But I still hope to have a Bob someday and will always have a warm spot in my heart for a multifuel deuce. They are nice to go to the lumber yard and load whatever you need and have room to spare in the bed.

Regards,
M376X6

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks