• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A question from a noob

erich92

My father in law acquired a 1990 M923A2 with a Cumming 8.3 and an Allison transmission as a family project. It's in running order, but he was told that since it was a base vehicle, the speed was governed to 25mph. Does anyone know where or how to adjust the governor in order to allow this beast to run at highway speeds? Any help would be appreciated.

5tonman1971

It could be limited on the screw under neath the fuel pedal or could be limited at the injection pump. Check all the linkage and shat not.

But ur there is also a TM SECTION. That will tell you everything you need to know and how to do it properly.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be the first thing I checked- Is the transfer case in high range.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of that before.

Like the others said, try shifting the T case into high.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, read the -10 level TM.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Not to say I'm doubting the prior owners word but I was around all kinds of Armed Forces bases for a very long time (still am actually) and I've never heard of a "base truck" or one being governed to 25MPH.

Again...I'm not saying it's wrong...I just never heard of it.:roll:

I'm going with the T-Case in low range as well.
Are you sure the trans is shifting up thru all gears?

Last edited:

RustyM923

The placard on the dash shows 26mph max in low range, and 63mph max in high. Perhaps it's locked in low.

If you can go about 15 in 1st gear, you're in high range. If it's about 7, then you're locked in low.